1. Choose an unused or unneeded button on the "silver" remote to be the 30-second skip command. I used my "A-lock" button, and in retrospect (with two kids) that’s probably not the best choice, but I wanted it near the other DVR controls. Other choices are the PIP buttons at the bottom, (maybe there’s a hack for those too?) or the "help" button (there’s no help either).
2. Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
3. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
4. Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
5. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
6. Type in the code 00173.
7. Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to.