I debated on making this a fanshot or a fanpost, but decided on the latter due to the poll options.
I have watched tape on Shawntae Spencer all season long and it appears he is our #1 corner and the closest thing we have to a shutdown guy. In my opinion he is having a pro bowl caliber season making the coaches decision to start him over Bly look like a no brainer in hindsight. I am wondering if the coaching staff have had internal discussions on swapping him with Nate Clements? By this i mean putting Spencer on the other teams #1 receiver and letting Clements cover the #2 option. This would do a number of things.
1. First it would all but admit the 49ers made a mistake in paying Clements what they did
2. It would allow Clements to succeed by covering and most likely shutting down a lesser receiver in the other teams #2 option.
3. It would put our best cover guy on the opponents best receiver. Let me ask you it this way. Would you rather see Clements or Spencer cover Andre Johnson?
4. It would also give Spencer a larger role in the defense and allow him to excel as our #1 defensive back. Considering he is still young i would like to see how he handles being the man in the secondary
5. It would also give Spencer more national coverage and allow him the ability to vie for a pro bowl slot that i believe he has earned up to this point.
This larger question is this, Are the 49ers ready to admit the mistake they made with Clements? Or do they have too much invested in him to demote him to the 2nd CB spot?