Apparently the Redskins have acquired the veteran Eagle QB for a 2nd round pick in 2010 and 3rd or 4th round pick in 2011. Now us 49ers fans can move on and forget about the Mcnabb non story, we can also take a breath and be thankful it wasn't us.
1. We have 3 Quarterbacks on the roster; which one of them would have gone? David Carr was just signed, so that is not an option. Alex Smith has been given a vote of confidence by the coaching staff and front office, he also had his best season in 2009 and is still incredibly young. Nate Davis is that perfect #3 QB, a project with tremendous talent and upside. So which one of these three could have have afforded to lose?
2. The front office has made a commitment to build through the draft and giving up these two picks would have spit in the face of that philosophy. Mcnabb is no longer a franchise QB, simply because of his age, and it would have made no sense. Give me a franchise offensive tackle (Jared Gaither anyone?) and then we can talk
3. Donovan Mcnabb is 33 and has a lot of wear and tear on his body after 11 solid NFL seasons, he has also missed 17 games over the last five seasons due to injury. Mcnabb has also fumbled 26 times over the last 3 seasons, a very high number.
4. Give Alex Smith the chance to build on the solid 2009 season he had. There really is no guarantee that Mcnabb will be better than Smith in 2010; in fact, he wasn't much better than him in 2009. Smith is also 7 years young and showed a lot of improvement in 2009, lets give him the reigns and see what happens. Mcnabb has also been a very lackluster big game QB, i really wouldn't have any confidence in him heading into the playoffs, which we are likely to make in 2010, with or without him.
5. Value Value Value: We all hear about value when it comes to the NFL draft, but it is reality not just something people say. Look at the players selected in the 2nd and 3rd round of the NFL draft the last couple of seasons, and tell me that you are comfortable throwing away one or even two of these players for a 33 year old QB.
2009: S- Louis Delmas, RB- LeSean Mccoy,
I 100 percent agree with the 49ers making no attempt to acquire Donovan Mcnabb, despite the outcry from within the NFL community to do so. The front office is doing what is best for this team and that is building through the draft.