Here are some thoughts I have after 6 weeks of play. They are in no particular order. Enjoy.
1. Coaching does matter after all. There is no way Singletary's team would have won last Sunday. The D of the past would have given up the game winning drive to the Lions as usual causing us to lose by 1. Instead, Harb calls a brilliant game, our elite D plays one of the best defensive games we've seen in a long time, and Alex Smith comes through with the clutch TD allowing us to win by 6.
2. Many members of the media have touted the Steelers MLB duo of Harrison and Farrior as the best in the business. Sorry "experts" but the combo of Patrick Willis and NaVarro Bowman are clearly the best in the NFL. And they are getting better each week. Takeo who? But I guess that's why they call you "experts" right? You are experts at being incorrect.
3. Alex Smith=Clutch. 4 weeks in a row now the guy makes the big plays when needed. He's not putting up HOF numbers but he delivers when he needs to. Sorry haters. Bad coaching was not just an excuse after all.
4. Is it just me or was the Lions-49ers game one of the worst officiated games we've seen in years? Horse-collar against the Lions? P.I. against the 9ers? 5 extra yards for Tedd Ginn's return? You cant call holding once against the Lions on Justin Smith? It doesn't even have anything to do with being a 49ers fan. It was a horrid game for the refs. That crew is always flag happy no matter who is playing. Epic FAIL refs. Bad form.
5. It's clear to me now that Michael Crabtree has "it". The guy made some incredible catches Sunday. What he lacks is chemistry with Alex Smith. That is both of their faults. Smith was high on some throws and purposely high on others. What it tells me is that Crabtree needs to man up next year and show up for Pre-Season no matter who the starting QB is. How is it that Smith is now accurate to all of his receivers except for Crabtree? It screams lack of practice between the 2 of them.
6. Many fans were too fast to label Anthony Davis a bust. I always felt that he's young and needs time to develop. We are seeing that development right before our eyes. He's nasty and is getting better each week. Snyder at RG is a huge help too. I love Davis' attitude!
7. Elite Defence? Yes. Possibly one of the best EVER? We'll see.
8. This team proved last year it can play with the big dogs. This year it has proved that it can beat the big dogs. You're either getting better or you're getting worse.
9. Aldon Smith. Total bust. Trade him. Fire Baalke for horrible draft picks.
10. Frank Gore. Washed up. Over paid. Get rid of him.
11. 9 and 10 are clearly jokes.
12. Edwards being back will make a huge difference with the passing game and for you who only care about QB stats and not wins, it will improve Alex Smith' stats as well.
13. The jumbo run formation Harb has been using is unstoppable right now. Down right scary.
14. Detroit. Not as good as their record states. They are tough. But not as good as their record.
16. HATERS! I have a big hot steaming plate of crow for you with regards to Alex Smith, Trent Baalke and the Yorks.
17. Ndamukong Who?
18. Megatron is human after all. It took him until the final play of the game to gain 100 yards. He can be stopped.
19. Re-sign Delanie Walker now!
20. Don't be afraid to be excited for your 49ers guys. Don't let guys tell you to "calm down it's only week(fill in the blank)". This team is looking good and with the way they are playing right now, anything can happen barring a huge injury. Yes I'm thinking 1st round bye and a possible(Yes I'm saying it) Super Bowl appearance....Just maybe.
21. There's plenty of topics that I'm leaving out(Justin Smith is the best DE to EVER wear a 9ers jersey) but I'm sure we'll touch on everything as we go.
22. Last but not least the "Handshake". Harbs was excited(maybe a little too much but who cares) and Shorts acted like a bully who just got punked in his own backyard. Hey Shorts! If you can't handle it being dished back to you then don't dish it out with your sideline comments and fist pumps. It makes you look like a crying little girl.
Those are my thoughts. Oh, and Batman: Arkham City for GOTY as my non-football thought.