Apologies for my absence most of the day. I was away from my computer all day but fortunately I was able to listen to the radio broadcast of the game via NFL Mobile on my cell phone. It was a bit in and out but thankfully it all worked out in the end as the 49ers pulled off arguably the biggest win for the franchise since the 2003 playoff victory over the Giants (2002 season/2003 playoffs, I always mix that up). I'm actually going to go back and re-watch the game thanks to the power of my DVR.
It was far from a pretty victory as the team had to battle back from a tough deficit, but at the end of the day, a win is a win is a win. And when you can do it on the road it is all the better. The team has plenty to work on in the coming week before the Tampa Bay Buccaneers come to town, but for now they are building a cushion as they work to improve in all facets of the game.
I won't even pretend this team is the best team in the NFL. Both teams left a ton of points on the board, but the Eagles in particular blew a game they probably should have won. That's not to take away from the 49ers effort, because coming back from a 23-3 deficit deserves all sorts of praise. Throw in the fact that it was the first back-to-back road wins since 2006 and the first back-to-back east coast time zone wins since 2001 and there is plenty to be excited about.
Head after the jump to check out some notable numbers from the game.
- The49ershalted a five game losing streak to Philadelphia, beating the Eagles for the 1sttime since 12/21/03 (31-28 in OT).
- The Niners improved their overall series record vs. Philadelphia to 18-12-1, as well as improving to 2-2 at Lincoln Financial Field.
- The 49ers won consecutive road games for the 1st time since 2006, winning at Sea. (12/14) and at Den. (12/31).
- San Francisco won consecutive road games with a 10:00 AM (PT) start and road games in back-to-back weeks for the 1st time since 2001 (11/18 at Car. and 11/25 at Ind.).
- The Niners were down 23-3 in the 3rd qtr. and came back to win 24-23. The 20-pt. deficit overcome by the team was the most since 10/20/96 vs. Cin. In that game, the Bengals led 21-0 in the 2nd qtr. and the 49ers came back to win 28-21.
That's the Difference
· The 49ers defense forced 3 turnovers at Phi. (2 FR, 1 INT), giving the defense 11 takeaways on the season.
· The 49ers have only committed 3 turnovers this year, giving the team a +8 turnover differential on the season.
Run Defense Continues Streak
· The 49ers run defense has not allowed a 100-yd. rusher in the last 26 games, which marks the longest active streak in the NFL. The next closest team to not allow a 100-yd. rusher is Chicago (12).
Goal Line Stand
· In the 2nd qtr, the 49ers defense was faced with a 3rd down at their own 1-yd. line when LB NaVorro Bowman registered is 1st career FR.
Hitting the Century Mark
· RB Frank Gore rushed for 127 yds. and a TD, marking his 25th career 100-yd. game. The 49ers are 18-7 when Gore hits the century mark on the ground.
· With 291 yds. on the day, QB Alex Smith surpassed the 10,000 passing yds. mark, making him the 6th QB in franchise history to pass for over 10,000 yds.
· Smith threw for 179 yds. in the 3rd qtr., marking the most passing yds. by him in any qtr. during his career.
· Smith finished the day with a rating of 112.1, improving his record to 12-1 when he has a passer rating of 96.0 or better.
· QB Alex Smith hooked up with TE Vernon Davis on a 9-yd. TD recept. in the 3rd qtr. Davis has now accounted for 21 of Smith's 55 career TD passes (38.2 pct.). Before the afternoon's games, Smith and Davis have the highest TD percentage among all active teammates (since 2001, with at least 20 or more touchdown passes thrown). The two have connected on a TD in 7 of the past 12 games.
· WR Joshua Morgan caught his 1st TD of the season and 9th of his career on a 30-yd. recept. from QB Alex Smith. It also marked his 2nd consecutive game with a TD at Phi. (12/20/09). The TD marks his 1st since 12/12/10 vs. Sea.
Coming Up Big
· DT Justin Smith stripped Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin with just over 2 minutes to go in the 4th qtr., marking his 2nd FF of the season and 11th of his career. The loose ball was recovered by S Dashon Goldson, marking his 1st FR of the season and 2nd of his career.
· CB Carlos Rogers recorded his 2nd INT of the season, picking off Eagles QB Michael Vick in the 1st quarter. This marks the 2nd time in his career he's notched an INT in back-to-back games (11/27/07 vs. SD and 12/4/05 at StL).
· The 49ers have now notched an INT in their first 4 games of the season, marking the 1st time since 2009 that the team has accomplished this feat.
Takin' Him Down
· Rookie LB Aldon Smith notched his 1st career sack, taking down Eagle QB Michael Vick in the 2nd qtr.
· LB Aldon Smith (1.5 sacks on the season) and DT Ray McDonald (2.5 on the season) teamed up on another sack in the 3rd qtr. McDonald leads the team in sacks this season.
Now Making Their Debut
· Rookie QB Colin Kaepernick made his 49ers debut.
Extending Their Streaks
· TE/LS Brian Jennings has now played in 180 consecutive games.
· DT Justin Smith has now started 159 consecutive games, dating back to his rookie season in 2001. Smith's consecutive start streak ranks 3rd among defensive players and 5th among all NFL players.
· TE Vernon Davis has now started 63 consecutive games, which ranks 3rd in the NFL among TE's behind Tony Gonzalez (73) and Jason Witten (70).