The 49ers absolutely destroyed the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sunday afternoon and if you didn't believe your eyes, the stats back it up. The 49ers are off to their first 4-1 record since 2002 (they lost game number six) and the numbers really do back up the performances to date.
Through the first four games the 49ers got some timely bounces, but there was to be none of that in week five. Rather than just taking advantage of some random bounces, the 49ers took control of their own fate and had their way with the Bucs. The offense was efficient, but not in a just doing enough kind of way. It was efficient in an aggressive, cold-blooded kind of way. The defense made some incredibly timely interceptions and seemed to know what the Bucs were going to do before the play fully developed. And special teams? Another rock solid performance across the board.
After the jump I've posted the numerous statistical notes from today's game. There's something incredibly awesome about all the career highs we're seeing from this team.
- The 49ers started 4-1 for the 1st time since 2002.
- The 49ers improved their overall series record vs. the Bucs to 16-5, including 12-2 at home.
- San Francisco has won 3 consecutive games, marking the 1st time since 2006 the team won 3 in a row (11/5 vs. Min., 11/12 at Det., 11/19 vs. Sea.).
- The 49ers scored 48 points vs. Tampa Bay, marking the most points scored by the team since 12/7/03 vs. Arz. - 50 pts.
- San Francisco defeated the Buccaneers by 45 pts., which is the largest margin of victory for the team in the regular season since Dec. 27, 1987 when they won by 48 pts. vs. LA Rams on 12/27/87 (48-0). It is also ties for the largest margin of victory in the NFL this season (Det. beat KC 48-3, 9/18).
- In the last 6 qtrs., the 49ers have scored 62 pts. which are the most pts. in a 6 qtr. stretch since 12/7/03 vs. Arz. - 12/14/03 at Cin. (67 pts.).
- The 49ers offense scored TDs on their opening possession in both the 1stand 2ndhalves. According to Elias, it marks the 1sttime in the last 20 years that San Francisco has scored a TD on their opening drive of both the 1stand 2ndhalves in the same game.
Large and In Charge
- The 49ers offensive line did not allow a sack on the day, marking the 2ndtime this season and the 1sttime since opening day vs. Sea. (9/11).
- The 49ers rushed for 213 yds. on the day and did not allow a sack, marking the 1sttime the since 12/14/06 at Sea. that the team rushed for over 200 yds. and did not allow a sack.
- On their opening possession, QB Alex Smith connected with TE Delanie Walker on a 26-yd. TD pass. The TD marked the 1sttime the 49ers have scored a TD on their opening possession since 12/12/10 vs. Sea.
Holding Them In Check
- The 49ers allowed only 3 points on the day, marking the fewest points allowed since 11/29/09 vs. Jax. (3 points).
Beasts on the Ground
- The 49ers racked up 213 rush. yds. on the day, marking the most rush. yds. in a game since totaling 261 rush. yds. at Arz. on 11/29/10.
Run Defense Continues Streak
- The 49ers run defense has not allowed a 100-yd. rusher in the last 27 games, which marks the longest active streak in the NFL. The next closest team to not allow a 100-yd. rusher is Chicago (14).
- With 1 rushing TD on the day, RB Frank Gore moved into 4thplace in franchise history with 38 career rushing TDs, passing QB Steve Young and RB J.D. Smith. He trails RB Roger Craig, RB Joe Perry (50), and RB Ken Willard (45).
- RB Frank Gore rushed for 125 yds. and 1 TD, marking his 26thcareer 100-yd. game. The 49ers improved to 19-7 when he hits the century mark on the ground.
- The 125 rush. yds. performance today marks the 7thtime in Gore's career that he has hit the century mark in back-to-back weeks (Last time, 10/24 at Car. - 102 yds. and 10/31 vs. Den. - 118 yds.).
Setting the Tone
- QB Alex Smith tossed 3 TDs on the day (26 yds., 23 yds. and 14 yds.), marking the 1sttime (5thcareer) since 12/12/10 vs. Sea. that he had 3 passing TDs in a game.
- Smith registered a QB rating of 127.2 on the day, marking the 1sttime in his career he recorded a QB rating of 100+ in consecutive games (112.1 at Phi.).
- Smith has a QB rating of 104.1 on the season, ranking 3rdin the NFL prior to Sunday and Monday nights games.
- In his last 10 starts, Smith has a passer rating of 99.8, completing 159 of 263 pass atts. for 1,986 yds. and 15 TDs with 2 INTs.
- Smith finished the day with a rating of 127.2, improving his record to 13-1 when he has a passer rating of 96.0 or better.
- QB Alex Smith connected with TE Vernon Davis for 2 TDs on the day (31stand 32ndcareer TDs). Davis has now accounted for 23 of Smith's 58 career TD passes (39.7 pct.). Since 2001, Smith and Davis have the highest TD percentage among all active teammates (with at least 20 or more touchdown passes thrown). The two have connected on a TD in 8 of the past 13 games.
- TE Vernon Davis tallied his 3rdcareer multi-TD game, his 1stsince 10/25/09 at Hou. - 3 TDs.
- TE Delanie Walker hauled in his 2ndTD of the season (4thcareer), marking the 1sttime in his career that he has multiple TDs in a season.
- CB Carlos Rogers recorded his 3rdINT of the season and returned it 31-yds. for a TD. The return marked his 2ndcareer TD and 1stsince 10/7/07 vs. Det. as a member of the Washington Redskins.
- Rogers has now recorded an INT in 3 consecutive games, becoming the 1stNiner to record an INT in 3 consecutive games since LB Takeo Spikes (9/28/08-10/12/08).
- Rogers' 3 INTs on the season rank t-1stin the NFL.
- Rookie CB Chris Culliver notched his 1stcareer INT after picking off QB Josh Freeman in the 2ndqtr.
- The picks by Rogers and Culliver in consecutive defensive series marked the 1sttime the team has accomplished that feat since 12/12/10 vs. Sea.
- The 49ers have now notched an INT in each of their first 5 games of the season, marking the 1sttime since 2009 that the team has accomplished this feat.
- Going into the night games, the 49ers defense ranks t-2ndin the NFL with 8 INTs.
- S Dashon Goldson knocked the ball loose from Buccaneers WR Mike Williams, tallying his 1stFF of the season and 4thof his career.
- LB Patrick Willis recovered his 2ndfumble of the season and 4thFR of his career. It also marked the 1sttime he registered multiple FRs in a season.
- The 49ers now have 5 FRs on the season, ranking t-2ndin the NFL prior to the Sunday and Monday night games.
- Rookie LB Aldon Smith registered 2 sacks on the day, giving him back-to-back games with a sack. Smith leads the team in sacks and ranks 2ndin the NFL among rookies with 3.5 sacks on the season. (Den. LB Von Miller - 5.0)
- DT Justin Smith registered his 3rdsack of the season and 68thof his career.
Back For More
- RB Anthony Dixon registered his 3rdcareer rushing TD and 1stsince 11/29/10 at Arz.
Making Their Debut
- Rookie undrafted free agents NT Ian Williams and DT Demarcus Dobbs each played in their 1st career game.
Extending Their Streaks
- TE/LS Brian Jennings has now played in 181 consecutive games.
- DT Justin Smith has now started 160 consecutive games, dating back to his rookie season in 2001. Smith's consecutive start streak ranks 3rdamong defensive players and 5thamong all NFL players.
- TE Vernon Davis has now started 64 consecutive games, which ranks 3rdin the NFL among TE's behind Tony Gonzalez (75) and Jason Witten (72).