The San Francisco 49ers defeated the New York Giants 27-20 and improved to 8-1 for the first time since 1997. Their current seven-game winning streak is also the first of its kind since 1997. Jim Harbaugh maintained pace with George Seifert and Steve Mariucci who also opened 8-1 their rookie seasons. Mariucci started his rookie season 11-1, while Seifert started 9-1.
The 49ers maintained their five game lead over the Seattle Seahawks and Arizona Cardinals as the NFC West was 4-0 on the same weekend for the first time since divisional realignment in 2002. If you had bet $100 on a four-team parlay involving the four NFC West teams, you would have won $8,400. Not too shabby. Although I'd be stunned if anybody actually placed that parlay. I thought the Rams could win, but the other two games were a bit more surprising. The earliest the 49ers can now clinch the NFC West is week 12 against the Baltimore Ravens, but nonetheless, kudos to the NFC West!
One of the more notable statistical notes today came from tight end Vernon Davis. He caught his 33rd career touchdown pass, which ties him for first among tight ends in franchise history with Brent Jones. That's quite an accomplishment.
Elsewhere, congrats to Carlos Rogers who hauled in a pair of interceptions to give him five on the season. That leaves him tied for first in the NFL heading into the evening games. If anybody deserves a Pro Bowl bid, it's this guys.
Head after the jump to view some more notable stats and performances.
With the Win...
- Head Coach Jim Harbaugh became the 3rdrookie head coach in 49ers history to start 8-1.
- San Francisco improved to 8-1 for the first time since 1997 and recorded their first seven-game winning streak since 1997.
- The Niners improved their overall series record vs. the Giants to 18-17 and 11-7 at home.
- Dating back to last season, the 49ers defense has not allowed a rushing TD in 10 consecutive games, which ranks t-3rdin team history.
Run Defense Continues Streak
- The 49ers run defense has not allowed a 100-yd. rusher in the last 31 games, which marks the longest active streak in the NFL. Since the start of the 2000 season, the 49ers streak of 31 games without allowing a 100-yd rusher ranks 4thin the NFL.
- The 49ers lead the league in run defense, allowing just 73.2 rushing yds. per game.
What a Weapon
- K David Akers connected on a 52-yd. FG in the 2ndqtr. vs. the Giants, marking his 5th50+ yd. FG this season. Akers joins Cle. K Phil Dawson (6-6) and Jax. K Josh Scobee (5-5) as the only kickers to be perfect from 50+ yds. (min. 4 atts.).
- With 5 FGs from 50+ yds. this year, Akers is t-2ndin the NFL [Oak. K Sebastian Janikowski (5-6), Jax. K Josh Scobee (5-5)] for the most FGs from 50+ yds., trailing only Cle. K Phil Dawson (6-6).
- Akers has now connected on 15 consecutive FGs, the 5thlongest streak in franchise history.
- Akers made 4 FGs last week at Was. and finished the day vs. the Giants a perfect 4-4 on FGs, marking the 4thtime in his career and first since 11/21/10 vs. NYG and 11/28/10 at Chi. that he made at least 4 FGs in back-to-back games.
- Akersranks t-1stin the NFL with 23 made FGs and ranks t-2ndin the NFL with 91 points on the season. Akers is on pace to record 162 points on the season, which would set a new franchise record (138 - Jerry Rice, 1987).
- The Niners successfully executed an onside kick in the 2ndqtr. after TEDelanie Walkerrecovered the kick by Akers, marking the first time the team had recovered an onside kick since 12/23/07 vs. TB (K Joe Nedney kick recovered by TE Delanie Walker).
- QBAlex Smithtossed his 11thTD of the season and 62ndof his career on a31-yd. catch and run to TEVernon Davis.The TD recept. by Davis ranks him t-1stin franchise history for the most TD recepts. among TEs (Brent Jones), with 33 career TDs.
- The Niners went for two after the TD, converting it to WRMichael Crabtree. The 2-pt. conversion was Crabtree's first and the first for the 49ers since 9/20/10 vs. NO.
- CBCarlos Rogersrecorded 2 INTs on the day. He posted his 4thINT of the season in the 2ndqtr., and later picked off QB Eli Manning in the 4thqtr. to register his first career multi-pick game. Rogers now ranks t-1stin the NFL with 5 INTs (prior to the primetime games).
- The 2 INTs byRogersmarked the first time a Niner has registered 2 INTs in the same game since CB Walt Harris on 11/25/07 at Arz.
Leading the Charge
- QBAlex Smithled the 49ers on another 4thqtr. come from behind victory vs. the Giants after trailing 12-13 at the start of the 4thqtr. It marks his fourth, 4thqtr. come-from-behind victory this season, which ranks t-1stin the NFL with Giants QB Eli Manning.
- Following Rogers' INT, on the ensuing play rookie RBKendall Huntertook a handoff 17 yds. to the house for his 2ndcareer rushing TD and first since 9/25 at Cin.
Taking Him Down
- LBPatrick Willisregistered his 2ndsack of the season and 17thof his career after bringing down Giants QB Eli Manning in the 3rdqtr.
Knocking It Out
- The49ers defenseregistered 6 PDs on the day vs. NYG, giving them 66 for the season. The 66 PDs rank first in the NFL this season.
- TEDelanie Walkertied his career high with 6 recepts., hauling in 69 yds.
Extending Their Streaks
- TE/LSBrian Jenningshas now played in 185 consecutive games.
- DTJustin Smithhas now started 164 consecutive games, dating back to his rookie season in 2001. Smith's consecutive start streak ranks 3rdamong defensive players and 5thamong all NFL players.
- TEVernon Davishas now started 68 consecutive games, which ranks 3rdin the NFL among TE's behind Tony Gonzalez (79) and Jason Witten (76).