The San Francisco 49ers defeated the Washington Redskins 19-11 and now find themselves 7-1 for the first time since 1997. Their current six game win streak is also the first such streak since 1997. The 49ers improved to 4-0 on the road, as well as 4-0 when playing 10am PT starts. The 49ers have one more 10am start when they travel to St. Louis to close out the season On New Year's Day. If they win that they will equal their 5-0 record in those games back in 1990.
Naturally Jim Harbaugh is hitting a variety of markers with his strong first season as head coach. He is the third 49ers rookie coach to start 7-1, joining George Seifert and Steve Mariucci. They both started with expected solid teams and so Harbaugh is the first 49ers coach to start 7-1 after a losing season the previous year. He joins Jim Mora Jr. as the only rookie coach to lead their team to a five-game improvement from the previous seasn through eight games. Those Falcons finished 11-5, had a first round bye, and lost in the NFC title game to the Philadelphia Eagles.
The 49ers defense recorded their 30th consecutive game of holding a running back under 100 yards. Their streak is tied for fourth since the 2000 season. They are two games back of the 2007-09 Pittsburgh Steelers, four games back of the 2007-09 Minnesota Vikings, and nine games back of the 2006-09 Baltimore Ravens. They also did not allow a rushing touchdown, extending that streak to nine games, which is fifth in franchise history since 1978 when the 16-game schedule was implemented.
Frank Gore deserves plenty of kudos for another big performance. He topped 100 yards for the fifth straight game, becoming the 49ers first running back to accomplish that feat in franchise history. He also had his 29th 100-yard rushing game, which broke a tie with Larry Johnson for the most such games since 2005
Getting in the End Zone
- FB Bruce Miller hauled in his first TD recept. of his career on a 30-yd. pass from QB Alex Smith in the 2nd qtr. The 30-yd. TD recept. also marked the longest recept. of his career. The TD was toss was Smith's 10th of the season and 61st of his career.
- QB Alex Smith connected with 8 different receivers on the day, which ties the most from earlier this season at Phi. (10/2).
Popping it Loose
- LB Patrick Willis notched his 2nd FF of the season and 10th of his career after stripping the ball from Redskins RB Roy Helu Jr. in the 2nd qtr. The FF set up a TD by the 49ers on the ensuing play.
- The FF by Willis was recovered by S Donte Whitner, his 1st of the season and 2nd of his career. His last FR came on 10/10/10 vs. Jax. as a member of the Buffalo Bills.
- Willis later recorded his 2nd FF of the game in the 4th qtr., marking his 2nd career game with 2 FFs (vs. Atl. 10/11/09).
- LB NaVorro Bowman recorded his 2nd FR of the season and 2nd of his career.
- S Dashon Goldson picked off Redskins QB John Beck in the 1st qtr. for his 2nd INT of the season and 7th of his career. The INT marked the first time in his career that he has recorded an INT in back-to-back games.
Perfect from 50+
- K David Akers connected on a 52-yd. FG in the 2nd qtr., his 4th 50+ yd. FG this season. Akers joins Jacksonville K Josh Scobee (5-5) and Cleveland K Phil Dawson (4-4) as the only kickers to be perfect from 50+ yds.
- Akers is t-3rd in the NFL (Cle. K Phil Dawson 4-4 and Det. Jason Hanson 4-5.) for most FGs from 50+ yds. this season behind Raiders K Sebastian Janikowski (5-6), Jaguars K Josh Scobee (5-5).
- Akers is the first 49ers kicker in franchise history to make four 50+ yd. FGs in a season.
- LB Ahmad Brooks tallied his 5th sack of the season in the 3rd qtr. and 18th of his career. The sack marked the first time in his career that he registered a sack in 3 consecutive games.
That's a Wrap on the First Half
- The 49ers defense has forced 12 fumbles in 2011, which are the most FFs in the first 8 games in franchise history dating back to 1992 when the stat was first tracked by Statspass.
- The Niners defense has recorded 60 PDs through the first 8 games in 2011, which ranks 1st in franchise history since 1992 when the stat was first tracked by Statspass.
- The 60 PDs tallied by the 49ers defense rank t-4th in the NFL since 2003 through the first 8 games.
Getting a Start
- TE Justin Peelle started his first game for the 49ers and first since 1/2/11 vs. Car., as a member of the Atlanta Falcons.
Extending Their Streaks
- TE/LS Brian Jennings has now played in 184 consecutive games.
- DT Justin Smith has now started 163 consecutive games, dating back to his rookie season in 2001. Smith's consecutive start streak ranks 3rd among defensive players and 5th among all NFL players.
- TE Vernon Davis has now started 67 consecutive games, which ranks 3rd in the NFL among TE's behind Tony Gonzalez (78) and Jason Witten (75).