The San Francisco 49ers travel down to Glendale this Sunday to face the Arizona Cardinals, looking to at least maintain and possible increase their lead on the New Orleans Saints for the second first round by in the 2012 NFL playoffs. The Cardinals are on a solid run having won four of their last five games. Of course, their one loss in that stretch was a 23-7 victory for the 49ers at Candlestick.
That game was a crazy one considering David Akers had two field goals blocked and missed another one. John Skelton was pretty much a disaster that game as he threw three interceptions and almost lost fumble before being replaced by Richard Bartell. The Cardinals got a late touchdown on a Bartell pass to Larry Fitzgerald, but otherwise it was a 49ers rout.
The 49ers get a different look this weekend as Kevin Kolb is back in the saddle. He started this past weekend in the upset of Dallas after sitting for a month with foot issues. Much like he's shown this season, he did some solid things and he struggled at times. Nonetheless, he is an upgrade over John Skelton and will bring a challenge to the 49ers secondary. And in Arizona, crazy things sometimes happen when the 49ers and Cardinals meet up, so we'll see what this Sunday brings.
- K David Akers has set the single-season franchise record this year with 32 made FGs, passing K Jeff Wilkins who connected on 30 FGs in 1996.
- With the win last week vs. StL (12/4), the 49ers clinched their 18th NFC West Division title, and ﬁrst since 2002. Since 1980, San Francisco has won the NFC West 15 times, the most division titles in the NFL during that time span.
- The 49ers defense leads the NFL allowing just 13.4 pts. per game this season, ranking 1st in franchise history and is the fewest in the NFL since the Baltimore Ravens in 2006 (12.6 pts. per game).
- The 49ers are the only team in the NFL not to allow a rushing TD this season. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the 12-game stretch of not allowing a rushing TD is the longest single-season streak in the NFL since 1970.
THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE
- The 49ers have outscored their opponents 288-161. The +127 scoring differential ranks 2nd in the NFL. It also is the highest scoring differential by the 49ers since 2001 (+127).
A SHORT FIELD
- The 49ers have started 26 drives in their opponents territory, ranking 1st in the NFL, and have scored 84 points on those drives, ranking 2nd in the NFL.
YOU WANNA START SOMETHING?
- The 49ers average starting ﬁeld position is at their own 32.9-yard line, ranking 1st in the NFL.
LONG WAY TO GO
- The 49ers rank 1st in the NFL with an opponents average starting ﬁeld position of the 24.3.
NO BIG PLAYS HERE
- In the last 8 games, the 49ers defense ranks 1st in the NFL, allowing just 17 plays of 20 yds.-or-more.
POINTS HARD TO COME BY
- The 49ers have allowed just 161 points on the season, ranking 1st in the NFL for the fewest points allowed. Their 13.4 pts. per game allowed are on pace to set a new team record.
SHORT AND TOUGH
- The 49ers have allowed just 16 ﬁrst downs on 3rd and less than 4 yds. (16 of 37 - 43.2 pct.), ranking 2nd in the NFL.
EFFICIENCY ON D
- The 49ers defense has allowed opponents to score on just 23.1 pct. of their possessions, ranking 1st in the NFL.
- The 49ers have only committed 10 turnovers on the year, ranking 1st in the NFL for fewest turnovers. The 49ers have allowed just 26 points off of turnovers, ranking 1st in the NFL.
PRODUCTIVE ON FIRST
- The 49ers offense has gained 4-plus yds. on 51.6 pct. (165 of 320) of their ﬁrst down plays, ranking 4th in the NFL.
- As of 12/1, QB Alex Smith has registered a QB rating of 107.5 against the blitz this season, ranking 3rd in the NFL (GB QB Aaron Rodgers - 142.9 and NE QB Tom Brady - 114.3) (min. 25 atts.).
HITTING THE CENTURY MARK
- Gore ranks t-3rd in the NFL with 5, 100-yd. games this season. He is the only player in the NFL to have 4 games of 125+ yds. rushing this season.
- K David Akers ranks 1st in the NFL in made FGs (32) and 1st in points (122). This marks Akers' 6th consecutive season of scoring 100 points. He is one of two players in the NFL to score at least 100 points in each of the last 6 seasons (Chi. K Robbie Gould).
Series Record: 49ers lead series 24-16
49ers Away Record vs. Cardinals: 49ers lead series 10-8
First Meeting: 11/18/51, Cardinals win 27-21, at SF
Last Meeting: 11/20/11, 49ers win 23-7, at SF
Current Streak: Won 5
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 5 - Three Times (9/14/80-10/18/87, 10/24/93-12/21/02 and 9/13/09-Present)
Longest Cardinals Win Streak: 4 - Two Times (10/6/74-12/2/79, 10/2/05-12/24/06)
Most 49ers Points: 50 (12/7/03): 50-14 at SF
Most Cardinals Points: 34 - Two Times, Last (9/10/06): 34-27 at Arz.
49ers Shutouts: None
Cardinals Shutouts: None
|49ERS (rank)||CARDINALS (rank)|
|10-2 (1st NFCW)||Record||5-7 (t-2nd NFCW)|
|24.0 (10th)||Points per game||19.3 (24th)|
|315.3 (24th)||Total Offense||316.7 (23rd)|
|130.0 (7th)||Rushing Offense||108.8 (19th)|
|185.3 (29th)||Passing Offense||207.8 (21st)|
|32:05 (10th)||Possession Avg||27:38 (24th)|
|13.4 (1st)||Points allowed/gm||22.4 (t-19th)|
|303.4 (4th)||Total Defense||370.5 (25th)|
|71.8 (1st)||Rushing Defense||119.4 (19th)|
|231.6 (16th)||Passing Defense||251.1 (25th)|
|29 (t-13th)||Sacks||29 (t-13th)|
|16 (t-5th)||Interceptions||9 (t-23rd)|
|+18 (1st)||Turnover Differential||-8 (28th)