Last night there was a mock NFL draft held on Twitter by DraftBreakdown.com and Yahoo! Sports freelance writer Gil Alcaraz. The turnout wasn't huge, in fact I think between five to ten votes were coming in per team on the clock...but it was fun to see others' opinions of team needs and prospect values. I don't know of any other such Twitter drafts, but if anyone does please let me know in the comments so I can check them out.
The results of the first round mock were pretty interesting in a few spots. Some players fell to the bottom of the first while others weren't even selected. The 49ers picked seventh and went with cornerback Patrick Peterson. Here are the first seven picks leading up to the draft.
1. Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley, Defensive Tackle, Auburn
2. Denver Broncos: Da’Quan Bowers, Defensive End, Clemson
3. Buffalo Bills: Cam Newton, Quarterback, Auburn
4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, Wide Receiver, Georgia
5. Arizona Cardinals: Blaine Gabbert, Quarterback, Missouri
6. Cleveland Browns: Julio Jones, Wide Receiver, Alabama
7. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Peterson, Cornerback, LSU
To see the rest click here to be taken to Draft Breakdown's site where the picks were recorded. Given a guy like Julio Jones going sixth overall and two quarterbacks in the top five picks, there is some quality talent that dropped further in the first round. While this result might be unrealistic, it would certainly leave some quality talent available in the second round. Feel free to leave a comment on that page if you have anything to say to Gil.
I'm willing to bet this wont be the last Twitter mock draft of the off-season, so if it's something you missed or are interested in...stay tuned to NN and follow myself and Gil on Twitter for the latest on future drafts.