I downloaded the Stanford game in South Bend to get a feel for what the Niners might be like next year. Here's what I noticed and wondered if anyone else thought the same thing, or thinks I'm full of it. It's worth mentioning that one outing doesn't determine anything concretely.
1) Seems like the 49ers are an excellent fit for Harbaugh's style. There was a bit of hype that he's a WCO guy, but watching that game, it's seems like it's not the pass-first WCO we watched in the 80's and 90's.
2) Fangio's defense needs quality OLB's. I think now the niners will pay Clements at least one more year on his current deal just so they have less turnover, and address the OLB position before getting a CB. If they don't like Gabbert, and think Quinn and Bowers are really DE's, I think the 49ers trade down to get someone like Smith or Reed later. Too bad because I was really hoping for Prince (even over PP).
3) Not Luck's best game. I thought he made several poor decisions, and I was really surprised because of how highly touted he is. He forced several balls that were lucky they weren't picked off, and a couple were. They missed a TD because he hesitated on a read. I still think he's a great QB, didn't run a gimmick offense, but that game didn't make him look like a first round pick at all.
4) Kyle Rudolph looked terrible. I don't think a top tier TE can have a ball go through his hands and hit his face. Even worse, it was his blown blocking assignment on a critical 4th and 1 that put the game out of reach. Looked like a freshman, come on...
5) Manti Te'o made 21 tackles, and a lot of them were great plays. I think the numbers show how bad the d-line of Notre Dame was, but watch some of his highlights, he was great to watch.
Well, I progressively got away from subjects pertaining to the 49ers, but that's it. Time to go light a CBA candle and pray for football.