ESPN Draft prognosticator Mel Kiper Jr. spent today going back and re-drafting the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He does not factor in team need at the time, but rather it is basically a ranking of the best performing players of that draft class. It is based on a combination of best performers and those with something still left in the tank.
In his re-draft, he has the 49ers selecting then offensive tackle, but eventual guard, Jahri Evans with their sixth overall pick. This comes in place of the 49ers then first round pick, Vernon Davis. Mel has Davis dropping to eighth overall in his re-draft (posted after the jump). With the 49ers second pick of that draft (#22) he has them selecting then cornerback Roman Harper. This pick comes in place of Manny Lawson.
Although Kiper did not address need, it is still fun to look at the roster then and see if the picks make sense. You can check out the 2005 lineup and 2006 lineup via Pro Football Reference. At the guard position in 2005, the 49ers started Justin Smiley at left guard and Eric Heitmann at right guard. Baas got playing time at right guard as well when Heitmann moved to center after Jeremy Newberry got hurt. In 2006, the 49ers started Larry Allen at left guard and Justin Smiley at right guard.
At the strong safety position (where Harper immediately transitioned), the 49ers were in the midst of transition in 2006. In 2005 an 2006, Tony Parrish was the starting strong safety but had injury issues that resulted in backups getting time. In 2007, Michael Lewis was signed and became the starting strong safety through the beginning of 2010.
I've posted Kiper's re-draft after the jump. You can compare it to the original first round results.
1. Texans - Haloti Ngata, DT
2. Saints - Nick Mangold, C
3. Titans - Maurice Jones-Drew, RB
4. Jets - Tamba Hali, DE
5. Packers - Mario Williams, DE
6. 49ers - Jahri Evans, OT
7. Raiders - Jay Cutler, QB
8. Bills - Vernon Davis, TE
9. Lions - Greg Jennings, WR
10. Cardinals - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT
11. Broncos - Brandon Marshall, WR
12. Ravens - Reggie Bush, RB
13. Browns - Devin Hester, CB
14. Eagles - Elvis Dumervil, DE
15. Rams - Marques Colston, WR
16. Dolphins - DeMeco Ryans, LB
17. Vikings - Andrew Whitworth, OT
18. Cowboys - Johnathan Joseph, CB
19. Chargers - DeAngelo Williams, RB
20. Chiefs - Davin Joseph, G
21. Patriots - Antonio Cromartie, CB
22. 49ers - Roman Harper, CB
23. Buccaneers - Kamerion Wimbley, DE
24. Bengals - Eric Winston, OT
25. Steelers - Marcedes Lewis, TE
26. Bills - Owen Daniels, TE
27. Panthers - Antoine Bethea, CB
28. Jaguars - Marcus McNeill, OT
29. Jets - Richard Marshall, CB
30. Colts - Danieal Manning, S
31. Seahawks - Kyle Williams, DT
32. Giants - Cortland Finnegan, CB