The 49ers welcome a long-time rival to town as they host the St. Louis Rams in an NFC West showdown. The 49ers have a firm grasp on the NFC West, but a Rams win would tighten things up considerably. The 49ers are sizable favorites, and coming off a bye week of extra preparation, so we'll see what they have up their sleeves for Sunday. The 49ers hold the edge in the all-time series 62-61-2, including wins in 7 of the last 8 meetings.
The 49ers are coming off a big win over the Arizona Cardinals on Monday Night Football. QB Alex Smith earned NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors in the 49ers 24-3 victory at Arizona. Smith completed 18 of 19 pass attempts for 232 yds., 3 TDs and QB rating of 157.1. Smith set the single-game NFL record with a 94.7 comp. pct. (minimum 15 attempts). WR Michael Crabtree led the way with 5 recepts. for 72 yds. and 2 TDs. The 49ers defense held the Cardinals to just 7 yards rushing on 9 carries, tying the franchise record for fewest rushing yds. allowed in a game.
49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh was an offensive assistant with the Oakland Raiders from 2002-03 while Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle held the same position with the Raiders.
Harbaugh was also a quarterback for the Chicago Bears while Rams assistant head coach Dave Mcginnis was the linebackers coach for the Bears from 1987-93.
49ers defensive coordinator vic Fangio and Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau were on the same staff with the New Orleans Saints from 1987-93, Boudreau held the same position and Fangio was the linebackers coach.
Fangio was the special assistant to the head coach and 49ers offensive coordinator greg roman was the assistant offensive line coach • for the Baltimore Ravens from 2006-07, while Rams special teams coordinator John Fassel was an assistant special teams coach.
49ers-St Louis Connections
- 49ers DT Justin Smith is a native of Holts Summit, MO, and attended the University of Missouri (1998-2000) where he earned First-Team All-America and First-Team All-Big 12 honors his final season.
- 49ers TE Delanie Walker became the first and only player selected in 49ers history out of the University of Central Missouri.
- 49ers LB Larry Grant played three seasons with the Rams (2008-10).
- 49ers LB Aldon Smith starred at the University of Missouri (2008- 10) and was a First-Team All-Big 12 selection, as well as the recipient of Missouri's Defensive Lineman of the Year Award, in 2010.
St. Louis-Nor Cal connections
- Rams head coach Jeff Fisher was the defensive backs coach for the 49ers from 1992-93.
- Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti held the same position with the 49ers in 2007.
Series record: 49ers lead series 62-61-2
49ers home record vs. rams: Series tied 31-31-1
First Meeting: 10/1/50, Rams win 35-14 at SF
Last Meeting: 1/1/12, 49ers win 34-27 at SL
Current Streak: Won 2
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 17 (12/17/90 - 12/27/98)
Longest rams Win Streak: 10 (11/29/70 - 9/28/75)
Most 49ers Points: 48 (12/27/87): 48-0 at SF
Most Rams Points: 56 (11/9/58): 56-7 at LA
49ers Shutouts: 8 (Last 12/4/11), 49ers win 26-0 at SF
Rams Shutouts: None
|49ERS (rank)||RAMS (rank)|
|6-2 (1st NFCW)||Record||3-5 (4th NFCW)|
|23.6 (t-14th)||Points per game||17.1 (28th)|
|369.0 (13th)||Total Offense||316.5 (28th)|
|168.6 (1st)||Rushing Offense||106.3 (18th)|
|200.4 (28th)||Passing Offense||210.3 (24th)|
|31:40 (7th)||Possession Avg||29:21 (20th)|
|12.9 (1st)||Points allowed/gm||23.3 (20th)|
|271.4 (2nd)||Total Defense||343.0 (t-13th)|
|87.4 (5th)||Rushing Defense||105.5 (13th)|
|184.0 (2nd)||Passing Defense||237.5 (17th)|
|15 (21st)||Sacks||21 (12th)|
|47.7 (8th)||Punting Avg (Gross)||49.0 (4th)|
|+3 (10th)||Turnover Differential||-2 (t-19th)|