USA TODAY Sports
We take a look at pertinent facts, figures and history in the 49ers Week 15 matchup with the New England Patriots
The 49ers travel to Foxboro, Massachusetts for a monster Week 15 matchup with the New England Patriots on Sunday Night Football. The 49ers are coming off a much-needed win over the Miami Dolphins, while the Patriots laid waste to the previously 11-1 Houston Texans.
This game features a whole host of interesting lines. Although the 49ers offense needs to get things in gear for this game, the big storyline should be how the 49ers defense deals with the Patriots top-ranked offense. The Patriots rolled over a Texans defense that has generally been solid. We'll see what the 49ers learn from the Texans rather weak effort.
On to the random factoids for this week's matchup!
- 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh played quarterback for the Chicago Bears in 1993 when Patriots running backs coach Ivan Fears was the Bears receivers coach.
- Harbaugh and Patriots special teams coach Scott O'Brien were with the same team twice; in 1998 Harbaugh played QB for the Baltimore Ravens while O'Brien held the same position. In 2001, Harbaugh played quarterback for the Carolina Panthers while O'Brien was in charge of the Panthers special teams.
- 49ers assistant head coach/special teams coach Brad Seely was the special teams coach for the New England Patriots on head coach Bill Belichick's staff from 2000-08. Patriots assistant head coach/offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia, defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and linebackers coach Pepper Johnson were also on the New England staff during Seely's tenure with the team.
- 49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell held the same position for the Denver Broncos while Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was the Broncos head coach from 2009-10.
49ers-New England Connections
- 49ers assistant head coach/special teams coordinator Brad Seely was the special teams coach for the New England Patriots from 1999-2008
- WR Randy Moss played for the Patriots from 2007-10, where he set the NFL record for TD recepts. in a season, in 2007 (23).
New England-Nor-Cal Connections
- QB Tom Brady is from San Mateo, CA, and attended Junipero Serra High School
- G Logan Mankins is from Catheys Vally, CA, where he earned All League honors at Mariposa High School.
- WR Donte' Stallworth is from Sacramento, CA and attended Grant Union High School.
- RB Shane Vereen attended Cal from 2007-10.
Hurricane Homies: 49ers RB Frank gore and Patriots DT vince wilfork were teammates at the University of Miami from 2001-03. They were joined in 2003 by 49ers LB Tavares Gooden
Michigan Men: 49ers C Jonathan Goodwin played at Michigan with Patriots QB Tom Brady in 1999
Scarlet Knights: 49ers T Anthony Davis played with Patriots CB Devin McCourty at Rutgers from 2007-09
Fighting Illini: 49ers WR A.J. Jenkins and Patriots DB Tavon Wilson played together at Illinois from 2008-11
Series record: 49ers lead series 7-4
49ers away record vs. Patriots: Series tied 3-3
First Meeting: 10/31/71, 49ers win 27-10 at SF
Last Meeting: 10/5/08, Patriots win 30-21 at SF
Current Streak: Lost 3
Longest 49ers win Streak: 6 (11/30/80 - 9/17/95)
Longest Patriots win Streak: 3 (12/20/98 - Present)
Most 49ers Points: 37 (10/22/89): 37-20 at Stanford, CA
Most Patriots Points: 30 (10/5/08): 30-21 at SF
49ers Shutouts: None
Patriots Shutouts: None
|49ERS (rank)||PATRIOTS (rank)|
|9-3-1 (1st NFCW)||Record||10-3 (1st AFCE)|
|24.3 (13th)||Points per game||36.3 (1st)|
|360.1 (12th)||Total Offense||425.7 (1st)|
|161.5 (2nd)||Rushing Offense||139.9 (7th)|
|198.5 (26th)||Passing Offense||285.8 (5th)|
|30:55 (10th)||Possession Avg||30:38 (t-11th)|
|14.2 (1st)||Points allowed/gm||21.2 (11th)|
|275.5 (2nd)||Total Defense||376.3 (26th)|
|90.8 (t-2nd)||Rushing Defense||100.8 (8th)|
|184.7 (2nd)||Passing Defense||275.5 (29th)|
|32 (t-10th)||Sacks||28 (t-19th)|
|47.3 (7th)||Punting Avg (Gross)||42.2 (28th)|
|+6 (t-11th)||Turnover Differential||+24 (1st)|