The San Francisco 49ers head east to Nashville later this week to face the Tennessee Titans. The 49ers are 4 1/2 point favorites in the first matchup between these two teams since 2009. The 49ers lost that game 34-27, and you're more than welcome to check out that four-year old NN recap.
The 49ers face a Titans team that has not looked particularly great on offense, and doesn't boast a big name defense, but they have somehow managed to keep their head above water through the first six weeks. The big key for them has been turnovers. The Titans are second in the league with a +8 turnover differential, behind 13 takeaways and only five giveaways. The 49ers are on a strong run late, having forced eight turnovers the last two weeks. Jim Harbaugh described it as an olive jar, where you simply need to get the first olive out, and then they all start flying out. We'll see if the olives continue to come out against the Titans.
This game marks the 49ers first trip to Tennessee since 2005, which marks the first time Patrick Willis will play an NFL game in his home state. Willis grew up in Bruceton, Tennessee, which is approximately 100 miles away from Nashville. The 49ers put together a rundown of his numerous high school football achievements:
- During his senior year, had 194 carries for 2,167 yards and 30 TDs on offense and 163 tackles, 12.0 sacks, 4 INTs and 1 TD on defense en route to being named Class "A" Mr. Football in Tennessee, All-State, Regional Most Valuable Player and West Tennessee Player of the Year.
- As a junior, was named All-State, All West Tennessee and Regional Defensive Player of the Year.
- Named All-Region and honorable mention All-State as a sophomore and All-Region as a freshman.
- Recorded 494 career tackles, 23.0 sacks, 46 tackles for loss, and 13 INTS, with six returned for TDs.
- Registered 276 carries in his career for 2,486 yards and 39 TDs and 51 receptions for 946 yards and 17 TDs.
- Helped lead Central High to the 2001 and 2002 Regional Championship and State Quarterfinals.
- Earned four letters in basketball, picking up All-District, All- Region, District Most Valuable Player, All-West Tennessee, and honorable mention All-State honors.
- Also earned three letters in baseball and was named All-District.
- Named Mr. Central High School.
- As a member of the Oakland Raiders, had a career-high 11 tack- les vs. Ten. (12/19/04).
- Recorded 3 tackles and sacked QB Kerry Collins vs. Ten. (12/26/10) as a member of the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Caught a career-high 10 passes for 102 yards vs. Ten (11/8/09)
- Had 15 carries for 83 yards and 1 TD vs. Ten. (11/8/09). Also had a season-high 7 receptions for 75 yards
- Boomed 3 punts an avg. of 56.7 yards vs Ten. (11/8/09)
- Completed 41 of 60 pass attempts (65.6%) for a career-high 350 yards and 1 TD vs. Ten. (10/2/11) as a member of the Cleveland Browns. It marked the first time he eclipsed 300 yards passing.
- Recorded a game-high 8 tackles and 0.5 sacks vs. Ten. (11/18/01) as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Series Record: 49ers lead series 7-5
49ers Away Record vs. Titans: 49ers lead series 4-2
First Meeting: 11/15/70, 49ers win 30-20, at Hou.
Last Meeting: 11/8/09, Titans win 34-27, at SF
Current Streak: Lost 2
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 4 (12/13/81 - 10/7/90)
Longest Titans Win Streak: 2 - 2 Times (Last 11/27/05 - 11/8/09)
Most 49ers Points: 34 (10/21/84): 49ers win 34-21, at Hou.
Most Titans Points: 34 (11/8/09): Titans win 34-27, at SF
49ers Shutouts: None
Titans Shutouts: None
|49ERS (rank)||Titans (rank)|
|4-2 (2nd NFCW)||Record||3-3 (2nd AFCS)|
|24.2 (13th)||Points per game||21.3 (21st)|
|332.7 (23rd)||Total Offense||302.2 (29th)|
|141.7 (4th)||Rushing Offense||108.3 (t-17th)|
|191.0 (t-30th)||Passing Offense||193.8 (29th)|
|29:37 (23rd)||Possession Avg||30:06 (17th)|
|19.7 (9th)||Points allowed/gm||19.2 (8th)|
|319.2 (9th)||Total Defense||335.0 (10th)|
|112.8 (20th)||Rushing Defense||111.2 (19th)|
|206.3 (6th)||Passing Defense||223.8 (10th)|
|14 (t-19th)||Sacks||18 (t-7th)|
|48.6 (4th)||Punting Avg (Gross)||43.5 (29th)|
|+2 (t-12th)||Turnover Differential||+8 (2nd)|