I make one comment and now I'm back... damn.
I still hold to my view that the NFL is turning itself into figure skating (dancing with corrupt judges) by having too many rules, essentially making our beloved game a manipulatable sham where the big stars get the calls in the big moments like basketball. I still think our coaching staff (and players) tend to have idiot moments far too often. I'm still bitter, disenfranchised, and disgusted about the Super Bowl but I'm still a 49er fan. Here are my thoughts, if anyone cares:
1. Kaepernick is very unpolished and the criticisms are mounting on him, justifiably. I think he should have sat longer but I'm not a coach. I think we're going to be arguing about him for at least two more years before he breaks out... or doesn't. I think he will, at least enough.
My biggest concern with Kaep is that he fades in big moments and I'm not sure we (or the team) can trust him to perform under pressure... then again, we shouldn't have to. I think he'll be good enough to win Super Bowls with so long as our defense remains stout and we have leads.
Ultimately, it's on him. The calls could be better, the talent better, but the truth is that the shots are there and he's not even taking them, much less hitting them. He's not Montana or even Young. At this point, he's Tebowesque without the clutch-gene.
2. I once called for peace with Seattle but seriously, I'm really starting to hate that team. I respect them but I'm really starting to hate them and I still think that "shit-bombing cloud-rats" is the best pejorative and I'm sticking by it.
Yeah they're good and right now, they're better than us and that stings because all of their gambles seem to pay off. Draft someone too high and he works out. Draft someone low and they work out. They get lucky breaks and they seems to always perform in the clutch.
They aren't just good, they're lucky (if such a thing exists) too and that makes their arrogant swagger infuriating. No matter how good your scouts are or players or coaches, you aren't going to nail it every time. A little humility would serve them well but no...
3. Arizona and St. Louis are good, as predicted. This division is just brutal with what will ultimately be four good teams so either our defense has to become all-time great or we may be looking forward to a lot of playoff frustration for years.
I think we should focus on defense.
4. I really, really want Denver to lose so I'm rooting for the Chiefs and not out of some affection for Alex Smith as I was pretty critical of him too, even if he is a good guy.
5. Blitz packages. I think we need to blitz more often. I know good QB's can beat blitzes but we need to do it. We need to keep pressure on, even if it costs us a big play from time to time. I'd rather the defense get beat quick and stay fresh... with a chance for a sack or turnover than get picked apart bit by bit.
We aren't holding on to the ball on offense long enough so I think a higher risk defense is an appropriate compliment for our offensive failings. It'll lead to some significant variance but I think it's worth looking at.