The San Francisco 49ers are back home for Week 16, as they host the Atlanta Falcons in what looks to be the final game at Candlestick Park. The 49ers could still claim a home game in the NFC championship game if it ended up a 5 vs. 6 game (assuming the Seahawks don't collapse these next two weeks, no pressure Seattle!), but more than likely this game marks the end of the Candlestick era.
The 49ers can clinch a playoff berth the day before if the Seahawks beat the Cardinals, but they still need a win to move up from the No. 6 seed to the No. 5 seed. The 49ers have plenty to play for these final two weeks, so we won't see them resting anybody too significantly anytime soon.
The 49ers host a Falcons team that has won two of three games, but is still looking at a potential top-five draft pick. They deserve some credit for a win on the road against a decent Buffalo defense. However, their win at home against Washington doesn't tell us much of anything given how awful Washington has been.
This game marks the return matchup following last season's NFC Championship Game. It looked like a great Monday Night Football matchup to close out Candlestick. While the Falcons are now 4-10, I have to think they'll be motivated to send the 49ers out of Candlestick on a losing note. I don't know if that will be enough for them to win, but we'll see how competitive that makes it.
- In 4 career games against Atl., including the postseason, has registered 26 receptions for 326 yards and 4 TDs.
- As a member of the Arizona Cardinals, had game-highs with 13 receptions for 162 yards and 2 TDs vs. Atl. (12/23/07).
- Caught 5 passes for 106 yards and 1 TD at Atl. in the NFC Championship Game (1/20/13).
- In the NFC Championship Game, gained 90 yards and 2 TD on 21 carries at Atl. (1/20/13).
- Completed 16 of 21 passes for 233 yards and a QB rating of 127.7 at Atl. in the NFC Championship Game (1/20/13).
- In the NFC Championship Game, registered his first-career post- season fumble recovery at Atlanta (1/20/13).
- Posted 13 tackles and 2 FFs vs. Atl. (10/11/09).
- Registered 4 tackles, 1 PD and intercepted QB Matt Ryan vs. Atl. (10/23/11) as a member of the Detroit Lions.
Series Record: 49ers lead series 45-30-1
49ers Home Record vs. Falcons: 49ers lead series 26-11
First Meeting: 10/16/66, 49ers win 44-7, at Atl.
Last Meeting: 1/20/13, 49ers win 28-24, at Atl. (c)
Current Streak: Won 1
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 5 - 3 times (Last 9/29/96 - 9/27/98)
Longest Falcons Win Streak: 4 - 2 times (Last 9/12/04 - 10/3/10)
Most 49ers Points: 56 (10/18/92): 49ers win 56-17, at SF
Most Falcons Points: 45 (10/11/09): Falcons win 45-10, at SF
49ers Shutouts: 4 (Last 11/23/86), 49ers win 20-0, at SF
Falcons Shutouts: 2 (Last 10/9/77), Falcons win 7-0, at SF
(c) - NFC Championship Game
|49ERS (rank)||FALCONS (rank)|
|10-4 (2nd NFCW)||Record||4-10 (t-3rd NFCS)|
|24.9 (13th)||Points per game||22.1 (t-21st)|
|316.1 (27th)||Total Offense||341.5 (16th)|
|137.1 (5th)||Rushing Offense||79.3 (32nd)|
|179.1 (30th)||Passing Offense||262.2 (8th)|
|30:51 (t-9th)||Possession Avg||29:56 (16th)|
|16.3 (3rd)||Points allowed/gm||27.7 (27th)|
|299.1 (3rd)||Total Defense||386.3 (29th)|
|99.4 (6th)||Rushing Defense||131.4 (29th)|
|199.7 (4th)||Passing Defense||254.9 (25th)|
|36 (t-15th)||Sacks||28 (t-28th)|
|48.4 (2nd)||Punting Avg (Gross)||44.7 (21st)|
|+8 (8th)||Turnover Differential||-13 (t-24th)|