FanPost

49ers have a 12% chance of winning the division

After Seattle's first loss at home, the chances of the 49ers winning the NFC West stand at 12.1%.


I came up with such a precise number by using the NFL lines coming out of Vegas for tonight and week 7. Many don't know this, but the point spreads correspond to win probabilities extremely well. there are a couple different ways to look at the probabilities - and they vary slightly based on the data set (i.e. going back to 1994 or to 1983, or whatever), but they're basically the same. You can use PFR's win probability calculator to run numbers if you'd like. I used the older dataset at PFR (goes back to 1983), but if you want to use a formula going back to 1994, use y = -0.0007x2 + 0.036x + 0.4978. x = spread. that's the probability of the favorite covering.


the different probabilities will cause your odds to change by 1%...not much.



Anyways, we have an 86.4% chance of winning tonight and a 59.6% chance of winning next week. Seattle has a 76.5% chance of winning next week. you multiply those together, and you get 12.1%.


But what of seeding? Well, we only have a 3.5% chance of landing the #1 seed, since the above would have to occur and Carolina would have to lose to Atlanta. Our chance of winning the 2-seed is 8.6%. If we win tonight, our chances of winning the division go up to 14%.


And what if Seattle wins and we're a wild card? Well, we have a 59% chance of winning the #5 seed and about a 25% chance of winning the 6-seed. the 6-seed is difficult to calculate because there are so many different permutations. We have a 4.5% chance of missing the playoffs.


If we clinch tonight, we end up with a 76.7% chance of getting the 5-seed, a 14% chance of winning the division, and a 9.3% chance of getting the 6-seed.


Of course, tonight's game will change the spreads in the SF@ARI and CAR@ATL games. Below are the odds tables:

Favorite Line Underdog Favorite WinP Underdog WinP 1994+ Fav WinP 1994+ Underdog WinP
At San Francisco -14.5 Atlanta 86.4% 13.6% 87.26% 12.74%
Carolina -7 At Atlanta 70.6% 29.4% 71.55% 28.45%
At Chicago Green Bay 50.0% 50.0% 49.78% 50.22%
At Tennessee -6.5 Houston 69.3% 30.7% 70.22% 29.78%
At Pittsburgh -7 Cleveland 70.6% 29.4% 71.55% 28.45%
At NY Giants -3.5 Washington 61.1% 38.9% 61.52% 38.48%
At Cincinnati -5.5 Baltimore 66.6% 33.4% 67.46% 32.54%
At Indianapolis -6.5 Jacksonville 69.3% 30.7% 70.22% 29.78%
Philadelphia -2.5 At Dallas 58.2% 41.8% 58.34% 41.66%
At Miami -6.5 NY Jets 69.3% 30.7% 70.22% 29.78%
At Minnesota -3 Detroit 59.6% 40.4% 59.95% 40.05%
At New England -8.5 Buffalo 74.3% 25.7% 75.32% 24.68%
At New Orleans -12.5 Tampa Bay 82.9% 17.1% 83.84% 16.16%
Denver -12 At Oakland 81.9% 18.1% 82.90% 17.10%
San Francisco -3 At Arizona 59.6% 40.4% 59.95% 40.05%
At San Diego -10 Kansas City 76.5% 23.5% 78.78% 21.22%
At Seattle -10 St. Louis 76.5% 23.5% 78.78% 21.22%

This is a FanPost and does not necessarily reflect the views of Niners Nation's writers or editors. It does reflect the views of this particular fan though, which is as important as the views of Niners Nation's writers or editors.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Niners Nation

You must be a member of Niners Nation to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Niners Nation. You should read them.

Join Niners Nation

You must be a member of Niners Nation to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Niners Nation. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker