The NFL announced the 2014 Pro Bowl roster of players Friday evening, and the 49ers are well-represented. The 49ers voted in by fans, players and coaches include:
As is often the case, there were some players many of us might consider snubs. Donte Whitner and Eric Reid came up short in the balloting. There are a lot of quality safeties, but the back-end of the 49ers defense has been especially strong this season.
It's disappointing that we don't get to see C.J. Spillman, Bubba Ventrone or Andy Lee among the specialists. All three have been key parts of the 49ers impressive special teams units. We'll see what the All-Pro roster brings for the various 49ers snubs.
Imagine if Aldon Smith had been able to play the whole season? The 49ers could have had all four linebackers earn a Pro Bowl nod. We'll just wait for that next year.
Fooch's Update: Six 49ers were selected as alternates: Anquan Boldin, Alex Boone, Andy Lee, Eric Reid, CJ Spillman & Donte Whitner
It is worth noting, the roster is not broken down by AFC and NFC players. For the first time, there will be a "draft" on January 22. At that point, players will be split up between two teams. That means 49ers players could end up on opposing teams. Hopefully this isn't an issue when the 49ers are instead playing in the Super Bowl!
- 49ers vs. Cardinals injury report: Dan Skuta questionable, Mario Manningham roster spot up for grabs
- Anquan Boldin playing as good as anyone in 2013
- Ahmad Brooks wins appeal of fine for Drew Brees hit
- 49ers place Mario Manningham on injured reserve
- 49ers vs. Falcons: Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman shine amid a shaky defensive performance