We are now up to pick No. 26 in the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft. We are fast approaching the end of the first round, which will put us halfway through the mock draft, and that much closer to the 2013 NFL Draft.
Explanation: With little free agency transactions, Green Bay Packers (Green & Yellow ) GM Ted Thompson prefers to build the team through the draft, & trusts his coaching staff e.g. DC Dom Capers to develop young players into useful assets for the team. With pass rusher OLB Clay Matthews imminently due to sign a new contract, and OLB Nick Perry undergoing a full recovery from last year's injury, drafting another pass Rusher, ready to be coached up by legendary defensive coaches like Dom Capers, will most definitely improve Green Bay's defensive side. With young & upcoming NFC Division QB's who can cause potent rushing threats such as Seattle Seahawks' Russell Wilson, & San Francisco 49ers' Colin Kaepernick who played an important role of knocking out Green Bay Packers out of last season's NFC Divisional Playoff Game. Kaepernick rushed for a quarterback-record 181 yards and two touchdowns and threw two scoring passes in this game.
Therefore adding a Pass Rusher like Damontre Moore, coming from The Aggies (The 12Th. Man), whom played in the SEC, very competitive & Aggressive football, & helped the Aggies cause an upset by beating the eventual National Champions the Alabama Crimson Tide, is a big bonus. NFL.com called Damontre Moore "one of the top two or three pass rushers" of the 2013 draft in their scouting report (a report in which they compared him to Aldon Smith of the San Francisco 49ers). Damontre Moore enjoyed a very productive career with the Texas A&M football team. During his career he totaled 197 total tackles, 45 for a loss, 26.5 sacks and 8 forced fumbles. His best season came in 2012 when he totaled 85 tackles, 21 for a loss, 12.5 for a loss and 1 forced fumble. Although Damontre Moore didn't do quite as well as expected at the NFL Scouting Combine, watching him actually play the game shows his great football pass rushing abilities. As most GM's believe that ‘Film Doesn't Lie' e.g. GMs Ted Thompson (Packers) & Trent Baalke (49ers), here is a link to Damontre Moore's Ultimate Football Highlights - You'll see that this boy has got Game!
Damontre Moore is surely set to be a Packer's Fan Favourite at Lambeau Field. 'Go Pack Go' !
N.B : (Alternative Option 1) : With Heisman Trophy Finalist MANTI T'EO (5), LB, NOTRE DAME, being still available. He is arguably the Best Player Available, on the Defensive side of the ball game. It is possible that Green Bay Packers could Opt for him. The Green Bay Packer's Lady Fans, will most definitely want to be his girlfriend!
(Alternative Option 2) : ERIC REID (1), S, LSU. With the release of future hall of famer & NFL 2009 Defensive player of the year DB Charles Woodson, & DC Coach Dom Capers once saying "You can never have enough of those guys...You always have to be conscious you can get short there in a hurry." referring to defensive backs. This is a possible alternative. Eric Reid, is a safe bet, & has proved himself over the years. Playing in the SEC, & being an important team member of the Defensive minded LSU Football team. He's an all rounded solid Safety player, ready to be coached up at the next level - The NFL.
Trevor Woods: Before the combine, Damontre Moore was on most analysts top 10 lists, then he had a bad combine and his stock plummeted. Moore being selected in this range is not a reach, but the Packers certainly have other needs before drafting an outside linebacker that wouldn't be a starter. Nick Perry and Clay Matthews are the future for the Packers at OLB. Twenty two year old Perry should be full systems go for the start of next season after suffering a wrist injury last November, and Matthews won't be leaving Green Bay anytime soon either. A more likely selection here would be running back or safety. Possibly RB Eddie Lacy, or safety Jonathan Cyprien, or Eric Reid.
Nick Chiamardas: Demontre Moore was once considered a top 5 pick. Poor workouts results at the combine and during the Texas A&M pro day along with questions about his work ethic have caused Moore's stock to tumble. Still, as London_9er points out, Moore's film is quite impressive. While the Packers have a few needs that might be more pressing, adding another pass rusher couldn't hurt. Safety might be a more pressing need and with Jonathan Cyprien on the board, that would have been a nice alternative.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts -- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington [Explanation]
- Green Bay Packers -- Damontre Moore, DE/OLB