We move on to pick No. 28 in the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft. When we get to the end of this round on Friday, I'll post all the picks and explanations in a single comprehensive post.
Explanation: After hanging out with the Mile High Report for the last week, the Broncos team needs mirror the Niners in some ways. They need DT, DE, S, CB, RB, a backup swing T and ILB (they don't have the best two in the world). In free agency they added Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie at CB, Wes Welker at WR (now all three of their starting WR had over 1000 yds last year!), Stewart Bradley at ILB, and DT Terrance Knighton.
That leaves CB -- where Champ Bailey is starring in Geritol commercials, S -- we all saw that game against the Ravens, RB -- starring "I can fumble more than you" McGehee, and DE -- due to "I still fax and use a rotary phone" agent for Elvis "has left the building" Dumervil.
Overall, the defense needs the most love, and they are weak up the middle. The best DT prospect left is Tank Carradine (6'4" 276 FSU) but he is coming off an ACL and won't work out for teams until April 20th. Elway is in a win-now mode as Peyton's window is closing rapidly. They won't risk their first rounder on an injury recovery. They can look at safeties Elam (Fla) or Reid (LSU) but they need a cover safety and there is not one worthy at 28. ILB Ogletree (6'3" 242 Georgia) is one of the better options, and would be a good pick here. But there are several ILBs in the second/third round who could do well. RB, CB and Swing Tackle will be found later in draft.
This brings me back to replacing the DE/Rush end. Werner is the pick because he had two solid productive years at FSU with double digit sacks. He experienced fighting through double teams and he will benefit from Von Miller being on the other side in Denver. He is quick more than fast when you see his 40 times, and can burst through the line. He is able to fight off the hands of O-linemen and has more than one pass rushing move. With the 28th pick, Denver selects Bjoern Werner!
Trevor Woods: This is a logical selection for the Broncos 4-3 defense. Werner projects as solely a 4-3 end in the pros, so a landing spot in Denver would be good for him. Werner put up some monster numbers at Florida State (he registered 13 sacks in 2012), and he can be a productive pass rusher in the NFL.
Nick Chiamardas: This will be one of the more entertaining picks come draft night. SigepPT9er points out all the needs for the Broncos and he's spot on. The Broncos will probably hope that either Arthur Brown or Alec Ogletree will be available here. If not, I think DE is the way to go. I think the choice comes down to two fellow Seminoles. Bjoern Werner and Tank Carradine. Carradine, if not for the ACL injury, would probably be a top 10-15 pick and still could be the best pure pass rusher in the draft. Werner is a solid pick and will compliment Von Miller nicely. He's not a legitimate pass rusher but he will help solidify the strong side with his excellent rush defense and refined instincts.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts -- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington [Explanation]
- Green Bay Packers -- Damontre Moore, DE/OLB [Explanation]
- Houston Texans -- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- Denver Broncos -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State