We're on to the second pick of the second round, No. 34 overall in the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft. It's a big one, as the 49ers are back on the clock with their first pick of the second round. If you missed parts of the first round, check out our entire rundown.
The San Francisco 49ers are now on the clock, and their Niners Nation GM is tre9er. With the thirty-fourth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State.
Explanation: Hankins has the versatility to play multiple positions on the defensive line, including five technique, where Justin Smith presently resides. He has the pass rush upside to stay on the field on third down, but also the strength to play against the run on first and second downs. We didn't feel corner was a huge need anymore with all of the veteran competition at the position, though there are some excellent corners available here.
Trevor Woods: The 49ers are having a nice mock draft to say the least. Hankins is a mammoth defensive lineman with versatility. He would become the favorite to replace Isaac Sopoaga and start from day one. Nose tackle is an area of concern for the 49ers, and Hankins would solve that problem. The 49ers just drafted a solid run defender that can play everywhere on the line. He reminds me a bit of Vince Wilfork. Wilfork is 6'2" 325 lbs, and Hankins is 6'3" 320 lbs.
NIck Chiamardas: The Niners deployed a nickel defense 56% of the time in 2013. If the 49ers are to draft a defensive lineman, versatility is key. As Tre points out, Hankins can pretty much play any position along the line. He's capable of lining up at nose tackle in base formations as well as more of a traditional 3-technique in the nickel. I don't think he'll develop into much of a pass rusher at his size but he will be a known presence against the run. Tre passed again on two fan favorite tight ends, but I can't blame him. I like the value here and there are still plenty of solid TEs left that will be available later in round two.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts -- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington [Explanation]
- Green Bay Packers -- Damontre Moore, DE/OLB [Explanation]
- Houston Texans -- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- Denver Broncos -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- New England Patriots -- Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist [Explanation]
- Atlanta Falcons -- Tank Carradine, DE/OLB, Florida State [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International [Explanation]
- Baltimore Ravens -- Matt Elam, S, Florida [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State