We're on to the seventh pick of the second round, No. 39 overall in the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft. If you missed parts of the first round, check out our entire rundown.
The New York Jets are now on the clock, and their Niners Nation GM is Desert Dog Runner. With the thirty-ninth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Jets select Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford.
Explanation: The Jets have a lot invested in Mark Sanchez, so they need to get him a playmaker or two. Ertz can be a valuable weapon in the Jets offense and a nice replacement for recently departed Dustin Keller. Santonio Holmes was the only real playmaker for the Jets in 2012 before he was injured, so Ertz should give them another option.
The Jets did lose a pro bowl safety from LSU this season with Laron Landry signing with the Colts. Another possible LSU safety Eric Reid might look good in this spot, but the Jets did recently sign Laron's older brother Dawan to play strong safety. The Jets may be able to find another safety later in the draft.
Trevor Woods: I like the Jets draft strategy so far. In the first round they bolstered the offensive line, and now they add a player that will improve the passing game. Whether it is Mark Sanchez or David Garrard at quarterback for the Jets, Ertz will become one of their favorite targets. Although Ertz isn't the fastest tight end, he is a legitimate receiving threat and good route runner. After losing Dustin Keller, they will have to find a suitable replacement. I like this pick at No. 38. Another position of need the Jets will have to address is outside linebacker, but a selection of one here would require reaching for a player they could get possibly draft in the third.
Nick Chiamardas: In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not an Ertz fan. In fact, he'd probably be the 4th or 5th tight end on my board. This is a position of need for the Jets but I would have liked to see them use a later pick on a guy with bigger upside. Ertz is big but slow and not very athletic. He's sure handed enough to be a nice security blanket for Sanchez (or whoever wins that QB job).
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts -- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington [Explanation]
- Green Bay Packers -- Damontre Moore, DE/OLB [Explanation]
- Houston Texans -- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- Denver Broncos -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- New England Patriots -- Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist [Explanation]
- Atlanta Falcons -- Tank Carradine, DE/OLB, Florida State [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International [Explanation]
- Baltimore Ravens -- Matt Elam, S, Florida [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Kyle Long, OL, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford