We're on to the eleventh pick of the second round, No. 43 overall in the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft. If you missed parts of the first round, check out our entire rundown.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are now on the clock, and their Niners Nation GM is germinator. With the forty-third pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Bucs select David Amerson, CB, NC State
Explanation: Well this is reason number 756 why I will never be an NFL GM. Evaluating talent and roster spots is a very hard business. And once my big DE's went off the board, this made it a hard pick for me. So I had the Bucs trading their first round pick for Darrelle Revis, or picking Xavier Rhodes, to shore up a porous pass defense. And here I have them picking another CB in the second round.
My reasoning is the same as before. The Bucs were horrendous on pass defense. They actually were a very good offensive team in 2012 but you wouldn't know it because their defense gave up so many points. They were the 10th ranked pass attack with a rejuvenated Vincent Jackson leading the way, and they lucked out with rookie sensation Doug "Muscle Hamster" Martin to lead them to the 15th ranked rushing attack. Overall they ranked 9th in total offense. So that wasn't the problem. For every great drive the offense had, the defense had an equally bad outing to counteract it. So defense is the priority in this draft for the Bucs.
Amerson fits the new breed of corner. He's 6'1" and 205 lbs. He has a good reach and hand size. He's the perfect pairing to Darrelle Revis. And as a Niners fan, I'd be scared if Tampa could get their backfield in order. Eric Wright, signed in 2012 to a mighty $38.5M contract, has now restructured to a one year deal with $1.5M remaining. The writing is on the wall, a replacement is needed. And Amerson gives them a chance to have a great one-two punch at corner and fix the secondary issues.
People laughed at the Niners drafting both Davis and Iupati in 2010. That was an area of need at the time. Looking back on it, we did pretty well. The question is how the Bucs do with their secondary overhaul.
Trevor Woods: Germinator's plan would most definitely strengthen the Bucs secondary, with cornerbacks drafted with their first two picks. Amerson is the highest ranked cornerback I have still available at pick No. 43. Other options at cornerback would include Johnathan Banks and D.J. Hayden. The Buccaneers could also decide to grab a tight end or defensive lineman with this pick.
Nick Chiamardas: Amerson fits a new mold of corners that GMs everywhere are hoping to land. Big, physical corners can take away match up advantages created by big, physical wide receivers. The Bucs landed Xavier Rhodes in the first round of the Niners Nation community mock and Bucs GM germinator makes a compelling argument to once again go corner. I'm not a fan of drafting the same position with two consecutive picks. Sure the Niners took two offensive linemen in 2010, but G and T two different positions. Rhodes and Amerson are similar in their playing style and corner is certainly the top need (as the Bucs roster exists today) so it's not a terrible idea. Still the Bucs do have a pressing need along the defensive line at either end or tackle having lost two previous starters there. With Kawann Short and Sylvester Williams on the board I would have like to have seen the Bucs address their need there rather than duplicating their first round pick.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts -- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington [Explanation]
- Green Bay Packers -- Damontre Moore, DE/OLB [Explanation]
- Houston Texans -- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- Denver Broncos -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- New England Patriots -- Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist [Explanation]
- Atlanta Falcons -- Tank Carradine, DE/OLB, Florida State [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International [Explanation]
- Baltimore Ravens -- Matt Elam, S, Florida [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Kyle Long, OL, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Matt Barkley, QB, USC [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State