We're on to the fifteenth pick of the second round, No. 47 overall in the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft. If you missed parts of the first round, check out our entire rundown.
The Dallas Cowboys are now on the clock, and their Niners Nation GM is albert.55. With the forty-seventh pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Cowboys select Barrett Jones, C, Alabama.
Explanation: I was torn on which position to fill for the Cowboys second round pick. It was either Safety or another offensive lineman, and with the Rams selecting Eric Reid that made my decision much easier.
As a 49ers fan this decision kills me because I'm giving them two great offensive linemen that can start from day one and these picks, while not sexy, will push the Cowboys to the front of their division.
Barrett Jones is not the most athletic offensive lineman in the draft. In fact his athleticism and strength aren't eye popping in any way, shape, or form. What he does have are versatility and fundamentals. In college, he played at all five positions, starting at right guard, then being moved to left tackle in the next year, while being moved once again to center for his senior year. He lead the best offensive line in college and considering the talks that two of his line brothers might be taken in the first round, that says something about his intangibles and skills. I don't believe there currently is a more versatile lineman in this year's draft that can do and did what Barrett Jones has already done.
An offensive line needs chemistry, trust and camaraderie. D.J. Fluker and Barrett Jones have built theirs through college in which they have helped win multiple championships together. If they bring that to the Cowboys then they will be a force to be reckoned with.
Trevor Woods: It is very interesting what Albert has done with his first two picks for the Cowboys. He's improved their offensive line a heck of a lot by drafting two Alabama offensive lineman. Barrett Jones is going to be a fine NFL Center for years to come. As Albert pointed out, Jones isn't necessarily the strongest center, but where he lacks strength he has a high Football I.Q. Look for Jones and Fluker to give Tony Romo some extra time to operate, and to really improve the Cowboys running attack.
Nick Chiamardas: Not a bad pick although I think Jones would have been available when the Cowboys pick in the third round. Jones provides an instant leader for an offensive line that desperately needs one. The 'Boys did just sign Mackenzy Bernadeau to a four-year $11 million deal in hopes he could line up at center. But Bernadeau is injury prone so a guy like Jones could be quite handy. Jones or Bernadeau could slide over and play guard as well. If the Cowboys do address the offensive line again at 47, I'd expect it to be guard Larry Warford. The Cowboys also have needs along the defensive front as they've recently switched to 4-3. With guys like Jesse Williams and Kawann Short still on the board, it would make sense if DT was the selection.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts -- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington [Explanation]
- Green Bay Packers -- Damontre Moore, DE/OLB [Explanation]
- Houston Texans -- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- Denver Broncos -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- New England Patriots -- Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist [Explanation]
- Atlanta Falcons -- Tank Carradine, DE/OLB, Florida State [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International [Explanation]
- Baltimore Ravens -- Matt Elam, S, Florida [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Kyle Long, OL, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Matt Barkley, QB, USC [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Jonathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Eric Reid, S, LSU [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- Barrett Jones, C, Alabama