Over the course of a few months, I've seen plenty of mock drafts - some with potential, most just recycling the same names in different order,- adjusting their picks according to hot new discoveries being hyped by the media (see: Hayden, DJ) and really not doing the thorough analysis of potential draft picks that we would expect of our front office.
To be sure, there is value that can be found throughout each round of the draft, especially with the gluttony of picks that the 49ers currently possess. Furthermore, many of us find the business of football exceedingly interesting with it's ever important repercussions of salary cap management, free agency patience, and draft day astuteness.
This mock draft is my one and only for the off-season, and is an attempt to combine need,talent, balance and philosophy together to match the quality of the 49ers coaching staff. It is both somewhat unconventional and versatile.There are some underlying ideas here which should be outlined before you read the list of picks, those being:
- I am of the belief that our defense will be transitioning to a base 4-3
- Glenn Dorsey will realise his true potential in our defensive front and will push for Pro-Bowl selection
- Chris Culliver could be moved to free safety, and the safety we draft this year will be red-shirted before taking over from Donte Whitner.
- Carlos Rogers and/or Nnamdi Asomugha will be a stop-gap at corner while the defensive back we draft either plays the slot of not at all while Ed Donatell coaches him up.
- The 49ers will trade down and out of the first round, and will acquire picks in the 2014 and 2015 NFL Draft. They will also trade several picks in later rounds and roll those into future higher picks in 2014 and 2015.
So, The 2013 mock draft is as follows:
2.34: Slyvester Williams DT (UNC)
2.61: Johnathon Banks DB (Missippi State)
3.74: Jamie Collins OLB/DE ( Southern Missippi)
3.93: Josh Evans FS/SS (Florida)
4.131: Brian Munroe OG (Northwestern)
6.180: Mike Shananhan WR/TE (Pitt)
7.246: Mike Hermann QB (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)
7.252: Jon Major LB (Colorado)