The 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft moves along to pick No. 7. The Arizona Cardinals hold this pick, and their decisions are being made by chriscream. With the seventh pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas.
Explanation: Rumor of trade and the two top OT off the board. Cards will most likely try for a trade or go for the BPA available. With the release of SS in the off season. They are going to rebuild the defense with the best safety in the draft. This is definitely a reach. However, I do believe that AZ would welcome a trade to gather more picks.
Trevor Woods: I agree with Chris that this is a reach. It would fill a need for the Cardinals, but does Vaccaro warrant a top 10 selection? This is a deep safety class in which the talent gap from Vaccaro and other safeties isn't a big one. The Cardinals could draft a safety in round two (Eric Reid, Jonathan Cyprien, D.J. Swearinger, and others) and fill another need in round one. I would have liked to see Arizona nab an offensive lineman here, Oklahoma's Lane Johnson. There also are good pass rushers on the board still available.
Nick Chiamardas: I agree that Vaccaro is the best safety in the draft. But not by much. This pick, while certainly filling a need and giving the Cards a defensive starter from day one is, as chriscream admits, a reach. Instead, the Cards could look to shore up one of the worst offensive lines in the league and go with either G Chance Warmack or T Lane Johnson.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas