Today, the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft gets to pick No. 11, which moves us just past one-third of the way through the first round. Just a reminder that I will be attempting to post three picks every day until we get through round two. This will likely take us into the week of the 2013 NFL Draft, so feel free to consider this a sort of countdown.
The San Diego Chargers are on the clock and their Niners Nation GM is mmastation. With the eleventh pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Chargers select Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma.
Explanation: There is a reason why so many people have this pick going to the Chargers, including myself. The Chargers O-Line is terrible and needs an infusion of young talent. Johnson is a consensus top 3 OT in the draft and where better to start when looking to improve your O-Line than the tackle spot. The Chargers have one of the Top 10 Quarterbacks in the league in Philip Rivers and need to make sure he has the time to get a good look around the field before being hurried, hit or sacked. Johnson will be able to start from the first day and will be a great improvement over anyone else on their roster.
Trevor Woods: The Chargers offensive line sure is terrible, and Phillip Rivers has no mobility to escape an immediate pass rush. Many times, the offensive line couldn't maintain a clean pocket for even a full tenth of a second, leading to the defense immediately breaking through and getting to Rivers. This lead to a lot of back pedaling throws that were errant, leading to interceptions and incompletions. Johnson wouldn't solve all of the woes for the Chargers on the offensive line of course, but you have to start somewhere. This should be the clear choice at pick eleven.
Nick Chiamardas: Just about every mock draft out there agrees with this pick. It makes sense. The Chargers OL was awful last year and if Johnson falls, it's a perfect match, right? The Chargers did just agree to pay former Eagles LT King Dunlap up to $6 million dollars over the next two years. Dunlap could probably be moved to RT if the Chargers select Johnson. The Chargers could look at guard Jonathan Cooper with this pick, although typically guards are not drafted this high. Pass rusher would be another key area the Bolts could look to fill with this pick.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]