We are now up to pick No. 24 in the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft. We are fast approaching the end of the first round, which will put us halfway through the mock draft, and that much closer to the 2013 NFL Draft. The Indianapolis Colts are on the clock, and their Niners Nation GM is BrettAbdullahKolakowski. With the twenty-fourth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Colts select Datone Jones, DE, UCLA.
Explanation: While researching the Colts I kept thinking: How did this team win 11 games last year? The answer is they had a very favorable schedule: Titans, Chiefs, Jags, Jets, Dolphins. The reality for the 2013 Colts is that they can use an upgrade at every position except QB. The most glaring needs are G, DE, S, LB, RB, WR. The Colts must do a better job of protecting their franchise QB -- period. Their receivers led the league in dropped passes last year and they should start to consider life after Reggie Wayne. Finally, their biggest need is on the defensive side, which ranked in the bottom third of every defensive category: Rush yards allowed, Pass yards, Scoring, First Downs etc. The challenge is they have several holes to fill while having only six picks in this years draft, half of which are after the fifth round. I have a suspicion the Colts will trade down to secure additional picks in rounds two through four.
If they hang on to pick 1.24, Datone Jones makes sense. He is a 3-4 DE who immediately improves their pass rush, and he may be even better against the run. Jones had 19 tackles for a loss during his senior year at UCLA, a 1.36 per game average. He is a big versatile athlete who is a difference-maker.
Trevor Woods: For a team that made the playoffs, the Colts have needs at a lot of positions. Brett is spot on with his assessment of the Colts, and improving the defensive line is a must for Indy. The Colts are in a division that has Arian Foster, Maurice Jones-Drew and Chris Johnson. It would be quite beneficial to plug in a rookie that can help improve their run defense, and I believe Datone Jones can do just that. Jones also has exceptional speed for a defensive lineman to go along with his 6'4" 284 lb frame, running a 4.75 forty at the combine. This pick isn't a reach, but I could also see the Colts going after a cornerback, possibly Desmond Trufant or Jamar Taylor.
Nick Chiamardas: This pick will make many 49er fans unhappy. But it's a great pick. The Colts are still trying to adjust their roster to fit a 3-4 scheme. Jones gives them a versatile 5-technique end that could slide inside in nickel situations. He only had one productive year at UCLA but it was a doozy, posting 19 tackles for a loss as Brett points out. This pick will immediately upgrade the Colts' poor defensive unit which is all you can ask for this late in round one.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts -- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA