The San Francisco 49ers wrap up the home half of their preseason schedule tonight as they face the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday Night Football. While we have a worldwide contingent of fans here at Niners Nation, plenty of folks are Bay Area residents, and I know that a few of you get to games when you can. With that in mind, here are a few details if you decide to try public transportation tonight.
In my time in San Francisco, when I would go to games, if I didn't catch a ride with people, I usually took public transportation. One game I got on the Van Ness express bus, but for the most part I would take the T-Third line down to the Gilman/Paul stop, and walk over from there. It was cheap and easy, and I highly recommend it.
San Francisco's MUNI will have a variety of options to get to the ballpark. If you need to take BART into the city, you can then connect from either the Embarcadero station, or down at the Balboa Park station. Here is a rundown of public transit options via SFMTA.com.
49ers Game Transit Information
Muni customers may purchase their fare in advance. SFMTA staff will sell Muni fares at the following locations:
- Balboa Park BART Station
- Sutter Street/Sansome Street
- 75X Candlestick Express - from Balboa Park BART
- 77X Candlestick Express - from California and Van Ness
- 78X Candlestick Express - from California and Funston
- 79X Candlestick Express - from Sutter and Sansome
- 86 Candlestick Shuttle - from Bacon and San Bruno
- 87 Candlestick Shuttle - from Third Street and Gillman, T Third Station
- 75X Candlestick Express - to Balboa Park BART
- 77X Candlestick Express - to Van Ness and North Point
- 78X Candlestick Express - to California and Funston
- 79X Candlestick Express - to Kearny and Sutter
- 86 Candlestick Shuttle - to Bacon and San Bruno
- 87 Candlestick Shuttle - to Third Street and Gillman, T Third Station
79X Candlestick Express Re-route
The southbound 79X Candlestick Express, which provides express service to the 49ers game from downtown, will be re-routed all season due to Central Subway construction on Stockton and 4th streets. Customers traveling to the game can board the 79X Candlestick Express at the following locations:
- Sutter and Sansome
- Sutter and Kearny
- Mason and Geary
- Cyril Magnin and market
- 5th Street and Mission
- 5th Street and Howard
- 5th Street and Folsom
The southbound busses will then travel express to Candlestick Park from 5th and Folsom. Northbound buses will remain on their regular route.