The San Francisco 49ers head up to the Pacific Northwest to face the Seattle Seahawks in a fairly significant matchup. This early in the season means it is primarily for fan bragging rights, but with the top of the division expected to be a tight race, it raises the stakes. I would argue this is a must-win for the Seahawks. If one team loses at home in this series, it likely costs them the division.
As you can see, our man Micky Pain went with "The Hobbit" for this week's movie poster (available for purchase at Amazon.com!). It's an easy joke at Russell Wilson's expense, but what the heck!
The series is tied 14-14, with each team having a slight edge at home. Of course, Seahawks fans will be quick to remind us of last year's 42-13 beatdown at Century Link Field. The 49ers did advance further in the playoffs, but it would be nice to get the victory on Sunday and end the chatter about that 42-13 win. The victory didn't get the Seahawks the division, but it doesn't make the discussion any less of a pain at times.
The craziest stat heading into this game has to be Frank Gore's numbers against Seattle. In 14 games against the Seahawks, he has 1,660 yards from scrimmage. That's kind of impressive. he has 1,238 rushing yards and 422 receiving yards in that time. He has two 200-yard rushing performances and two 100-yard rushing performances against the Seahawks. Let's hope for a little more of that this week.
On to the random information you crave!
Series Record: Series tied 14-14
49ers Away Record vs. Seahawks: Seahawks lead series 8-6
First Meeting: 9/26/76, 49ers win 37-21, at Sea.
Last Meeting: 12/23/12, Seahawks win 42-13, at Sea.
Current Streak: Lost 1
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 4 (12/12/10 - 10/18/12)
Longest Seahawks Win Streak: 6 (10/12/03 - 12/11/05)
Most 49ers Points: 40 (12/12/10): 49ers win 40-21, at SF
Most Seahawks Points: 42 - 2 times, (Last 12/23/12): Seahawks win 42-13, at Sea.
49ers Shutouts: None
Seahawks Shutouts: 2 (Last 11/12/07), Seahawks win 24-0, at Sea.
- In 11 career games against Sea., has totaled 74 recepts. for 938 yds. and 2 TDs
- Notched 10 recepts. for a game-high 122 yds. and 1 TD at Sea. (12/21/03) as a member of the Arizona Cardinals
- Registered 7 recepts. for a game-high 107 yds. and 1 TD at Sea. (12/26/04) as a member of the Arizona Cardinals
- As a member of the Arizona Cardinals, hauled in 13 recepts. for 186 yds. at Sea. (11/16/08)
- Recorded his first career sack at Sea (12/24/11), taking down Tarvaris Jackson for a four yard loss
- Registered his first career interception, picking off Tarvaris Jackson to end the first half vs. Sea (9/11/11)
- Recorded his first NFL interception vs. Sea (9/19/10) as a member of the Denver Brocnos when he stepped in front of a pass from Matt Hasselbeck and returned it 15 yards
- Registered six receptions for 111 yards and one touchdown at Seattle (12/6/09)
- Caught five passes for 70 yards, including a 42-yard touchdown reception vs. Seattle (12/12/10)
- He has rushed for 1,210 yards vs. Seattle, the most rushing yards against any opponent in his career
- Ranks first among all active players and second all-time with 125.5 scrimmage yards per game against the Seahawks
- Set a 49ers single game rushing record with 212 yards vs. Seattle (11/19/06)
- Produced touchdown runs of 79 and a career-best 80 yards, finishing with 207 yards on 16 carries vs. Seattle (9/20/09)
- Rushed for 131 yards on 16 carries (8.2 average), marking Gore's 32nd 100-yard game
- Set a new career-high in both gross avg. (59.6) and net avg. (54.2) vs. Sea. (9/11/11). Lee's 59.6 gross avg. is the highest single- game average in franchise history and ranks 3rd in NFL history. His 54.2 net avg. is the highest single-game net average in fran- chise history and the 2nd best single-game performance since the statistic was first tracked in 1976.
- Posted his 11th career multi-sack game with 2 sacks on QB Tar- varis Jackson vs. Sea. (9/11/11).
- Picked up his 3rd FR of the season at Sea. (12/24/11) after LB Larry Grant stripped the ball away from QB Tarvaris Jackson, stopping Seattle's potential go-ahead score late in the 4th qtr.
- In 11 career games against Sea., he has totaled 122 tackles, 2 INTs, 1 TD, 1 FR and 6 PDs.
- Recorded his first-career INT and first NFL TD at Sea. (9/14/08), returning the pick 86 yds. for a TD, marking the longest INT re- turn by a linebacker in franchise history.
|49ERS (rank)||SEAHAWKS (rank)|
|1-0 (t-1st NFCW)||Record||1-0 (t-1st NFCW)|
|34.0 (t-3rd)||Points per game||12.0 (28th)|
|494.0 (2nd)||Total Offense||370.0 (14th)|
|90.0 (12th)||Rushing Offense||70.0 (22nd)|
|404.0 (3rd)||Passing Offense||300.0 (11th)|
|38:35 (1st)||Possession Avg||30:14 (16th)|
|28.0 (t-23rd)||Points allowed/gm||7.0 (2nd)|
|385.0 (22nd)||Total Defense||253.0 (5th)|
|63.0 (t-6th)||Rushing Defense||134.0 (28th)|
|322.0 (25th)||Passing Defense||119.0 (3rd)|
|2 (t-16th)||Sacks||1 (t-24th)|
|47.2 (12th)||Punting Avg (Gross)||49.5 (5th)|
|+2 (t-2nd)||Turnover Differential||+1 (t-9th)|