1. Our WR issues are at a "worst-case scenario" in that Quinton Patton may be our future, but isn't our present. Kyle Williams isn't getting open. Marlon Moore is still actually Marlon Moore. And Anquan is getting absolutely blanketed because, well, the defenses don't have anyone else to cover. The flashes of potential competence we saw in the preseason may have been a fluke. Or they may work themselves out later.
2. The injury bug hit us a little bit last year, but it is really hitting us now. And it may get worse before it gets better. Good thing for us, we have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL. Now I'm not saying you can replace a guy like Willis or Davis, but we can accommodate those losses better than pretty much any other team.
3. We have gotten spoiled rotten the last two years. How many fans can say their entire universe started falling apart because they lost two games in a row? Not many. This is a reality check. We're not perfect. We got hit in the mouth, but the determinant of this season will be our response. We have a really tough game in STL on a short week, and we may very well be 1-3. How do the leaders of this team respond to that potential adversity? Even if/when we win, we still have ground to make up. What if Kaep looks bad again? The team needs to rally around this "low point" and grow from it. These are learning experiences. And I've seen it said time and again on here, I would much rather it look bad now than at the end of the season.
4. Eric Reid is pretty darn good. He is all over the field. And he looks competent. He looks like he belongs. That's about all I have to say about that.
5. Colin Kaepernick can be rattled. If things aren't going well, he doesn't look as good. Granted, it's hard to look good when you literally have nowhere to throw the ball. But to take that next step in his career, he has to elevate the play of those around him on a consistent basis. That's what great quarterbacks do. (Example: Robert Meachem, stud in NO, dud in SD, back to stud in NO again)
6. Greg Roman's time in the NFL may not be over, but he's gotta do something different. I think there's a slight chance we see a Ravens-esque move where Roman gets the can midseason and maybe someone like Mangini takes over.
7. Our defense isn't elite any more. We are starting to look more like a Saints or Packers defense that gets sacks when needed and creates turnovers opportunistically, but can't really stop a nose bleed outside of that. This is disappointing to us. We have grown to appreciate the toughest defense in the league the last few years. But we're getting bullied, and I think that hopefully this will change before the season is over.
8. We need to calm the hell down. It's a long season. We've lost to two really good teams, and we beat one really good team. Time will tell what this team is made of, but people please, take a breath. It'll work out.
In Harbaalke I trust