The San Francisco 49ers travel north on Sunday to face their recent nemesis, the Seattle Seahawks, in the 2014 NFC Championship Game. The winner advances to Super Bowl XLVIII, the loser heads home shaking their heads. This is the 31st meeting between the two teams, and the overall series are dead-even at 15-15.
The rivalry has really taken on its significant tone the last three seasons as both teams have worked their way into the elite of the NFL. The 49ers looked like they were ready to turn this into something in 2006. The Seahawks had won six straight, but the 49ers claimed both games as Alex Smith took a big step forward from his ugly 2005 season. However, the 49ers regressed the following season, and things were ugly until Jim Harbaugh came to town.
Coach Harbaugh arrived the year after Pete Carroll took over in Seattle. The Seahawks won the division in 2010 with a 7-9 record, and finished 7-9 again in 2011. However, climbed to 11-5 last season, and 13-3 this season. And even though they struggled in 2011, the arrival of Harbaugh ratcheted things up. In 2012, it became serious business. And now, it culminates with a trip to the Super Bowl at stake.
There are plenty of great historical rivalries, but 49ers-Seahawks strikes me as the best rivalry right now. I don't know how long the rivalry will last, but for now it is as intense as they come. And given how well both teams are situated for the short term, playoff matchups could be a regular occurrence.
- In 13 career games against Sea., he has totaled 81 receptions for 1,038 yards and 2 TDs.
- Hauled in 10 passes for a game-high 122 yards and 1 TD at Sea. (12/21/03) as a member of the Arizona Cardinals. It marked his 8th-career TD.
- As a member of the Arizona Cardinals, he hauled in 13 passes for 186 yards at Sea. (11/16/08).
- Caught 8 passes for a team-high 105 passes vs. Sea. (11/15/09) as a member of the Arizona Cardinals.
- Registered team-highs in receptions (6) and rec. yards (93) vs. Sea. (12/8/13).
- Recorded his first career sack at Sea. (12/24/11), dropping QB Tarvaris Jackson for a 4-yd. loss.
- Notched a career-high 19 tackles at Sea. (12/23/12).
- Registered a team-high 13 tackles and had 1.0 sack, which forced a fumble by Seahawks QB Russell Wilson vs. Sea. (12/8/13).
- Registered his first career INT, picking off QB Tarvaris Jackson to end the first half vs. Sea. (9/11/11).
- Registered 6 receptions for 111 yards and 1 TD at Sea. (12/6/09).
- Caught 5 passes for 70 yards, including a 42-yd. TD reception vs. Sea. (12/12/10).
- He has rushed for 1,364 yards vs. Sea., the most rushing yards against any opponent in his career.
- Set a 49ers single-game rushing record with 212 yards vs. Sea. (11/19/06).
- Was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week for producing TD runs of 79 and a career-best 80 yards, finishing with 207 yards on 16 carries vs. Sea. (9/20/09). It marks the 49ers second best single-game rushing performance in team history.
- Recorded 17 carries for 110 yards vs. Sea. (12/8/13).
- Passed for 244 yards and 1 TD at Sea. (12/23/13). Also rushed 7 times for 31 yards
- Set a new career-high in both gross avg. (59.6) and net avg. (54.2) vs. Sea. (9/11/11).
- Hit a career-high 10 punts for 543 yards (54.3 avg.) vs. Sea. (9/30/07).
- Posted his 11th career multi-sack game with 2.0 sacks on QB Tarvaris Jackson vs. Sea. (9/11/11).
- Picked up his 3rd FR of the season at Sea. (12/24/11), stopping Seattle’s potential go-ahead score late in the 4th qtr.
- In 11 career games against Sea., he has totaled 122 tackles, 2 INTs, 1 TD, 1 FR and 6 PDs.
- Recorded his first-career INT and first NFL TD at Sea. (9/14/08), returning it 86 yards for a TD, marking the then-longest INT return by a linebacker in franchise history.
- Intercepted Seahawks QB Russell Wilson with 9 seconds remaining to seal the victory for San Francisco vs. Sea. (12/8/13).
Postseason Matchups: None
Series Record: Series tied 15-15
Postseason Series Record: None
49ers Away Record vs. Seahawks: Seahawks lead series 9-7 49ers
First Meeting: 9/26/76, 49ers win 37-21, at Sea.
Last Meeting: 12/8/13, 49ers win 19-17, at SF
Current Streak: Won 1
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 4 (12/12/10 - 10/18/12)
Longest Seahawks Win Streak: 6 (10/12/03 - 12/11/05)
Most 49ers Points: 40, (12/12/10), 49ers win 40-21, at SF
Most Seahawks Points: 42 - 2 times (Last 12/23/12), Seahawks win 42-13, at Sea.
49ers Shutouts: None
Seahawks Shutouts: 2, (Last 11/12/07), Seahawks win 24-0, at Sea.
|49ERS (rank)||SEAHAWKS (rank)|
|12-4 (2nd NFCW)||Record||13-3 (1st NFCW)|
|25.4 (11th)||Points per game||26.1 (t-8th)|
|323.8 (24th)||Total Offense||339.0 (17th)|
|137.6 (3rd)||Rushing Offense||136.8 (4th)|
|186.2 (30th)||Passing Offense||202.3 (26th)|
|30:35 (11th)||Possession Avg||29:57 (17th)|
|17.0 (3rd)||Points allowed/gm||14.4 (1st)|
|316.9 (5th)||Total Defense||273.6 (1st)|
|95.9 (4th)||Rushing Defense||101.6 (t-7th)|
|221.0 (7th)||Passing Defense||172.0 (1st)|
|38 (t-18th)||Sacks||44 (t-8th)|
|48.2 (2nd)||Punting Avg (Gross)||41.6 (29th)|
|+12 (t-4th)||Turnover Differential||+20 (1st)|