The NFL head coaching rumors are in full swing, and we've got plenty of news and rumors to keep us busy. Earlier today, Albert Breer reported that the Minnesota Vikings and the Washington football team contacted the San Francisco 49ers about interviewing offensive coordinator Greg Roman. Now, we've got some additional news about defensive coordinator Vic Fangio:
At times it has seemed like Fangio is not overly interested in becoming a head coach. In a previous press conference he mentioned how if the right opportunity came along it would be an option, but he was not looking to change who he was, or how he did things to become a head coach.
Washington is also reportedly looking at Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, James Franklin and Pat Shurmur. It's safe to say the Fightin' Snyders are going to be as thorough as they can be in figuring out their next head coach. A year after making their way to the playoffs with Robert Griffin III, Washington stumbled through a disaster of a season that resulted in Mike Shanahan being shown the door.
There will be plenty more pieces of news and rumor coming this week, so I set up a storystream for all this stuff. Once we get to the divisional round games, things will hopefully quiet down a little bit. Washington (and others) can interview assistants on playoff teams for the next few days. Once the divisional round games begin, they cannot conduct additional interviews until a coach's team is eliminated, or the Super Bowl bye week, whichever comes first.
- Ric Flair speech to 49ers has Steve Smith none too pleased
- 49ers snap count vs. Packers: Perrish Cox gets the nickel work, Aldon Smith deals with cramps
- 49ers-Panthers spread: San Francisco moves into favorite position for divisional round
- 49ers-Packers final score: Notable stats and performances from the Wild Card win
- NFL playoff schedule 2014: 49ers face tough opponents in pursuit of Super Bowl XLVIII