so, most 49ers fans are downplaying the Vernon Davis-MJD connection as merely coincidence. After all, we have Gore, and Hunter, and Lattimore, and LaMichael James. Here are a few reasons why its not so far-fetched.
1. Local. He's from Antioch (my hometown!), played at De La Salle.
2. Dude wants a ring. He's a borderline HOF guy who would kill for a ring. He's got $35m+ in lifetime earnings under his belt, he doesn't need the money.
3. He's Cheap. Anyone care to guess what the market is for a late-20s running back? not much. Michael Turner got $5.5m per year at age 26. Stephen Jackson got a 3 year, $12m contract with only $4m guaranteed at age 30. Atlanta overpaid, and MJD is coming off some injuries.
4. Its a good fit. Gore is mediocre out of the backfield, historically, MJD is pretty awesome as a receiver. Lattimore is an unproven commodity. Gore is gone after 2014. hunter isn't the same post-achilles. LaMichael James is an enigma.
5. Are we building for 2014? based on the probably re-signing of Boldin and the possible re-signing of Whitner, my answer is yes. 2014 is a final run at a title before we do some re-tweaking for a 2016+ run...not to say that 2015 won't be a solid team too. Makes a lot of sense if you look at our contract schedules. OUR RUNNING GAME FAILED vs. Sea -- if we're going to beat them, we need to load up.
So, 2014 backfield would be Gore, MJD, Hunter, and Lattimore. 2015/6 backfield is MJD/Lattimore. 3-year contract, low pay. market for 28 year old RBs is pretty slim.
Bonus: higher 2014 salary cap.
Issue: What to do with LaMichael James