The NFL wrapped up their league meetings on Wednesday with a vote on various rule and bylaw proposals. This followed a couple smaller votes on Tuesday. Most proposals were either voted down, or tabled until next year. But we did see a few rules passed. Down believe I've posted a complete rundown on the voting results via Pro Football Talk.
There had been some talk about moving the spot for extra points, and while that has been tabled, the NFL will experiment with extra points in the preseason. During Week 1 and Week 2 of the preseason, extra points will be spotted at the 20-yard line. I'm curious to see if Phil Dawson gets a chance at any extra points. The 49ers will likely have Colton Schmidt in as a camp leg, but I'd imagine Dawson might want a crack or two at the longer extra points. There would seem to be momentum for a change in extra points during the regular season, and I would not be surprised to see a change next year.
Unfortunately, the owners voted down a change that would have eliminated overtime from preseason games. There is no need for it at this point. Fortunately it is generally avoided, but if a game is tied when the fourth quarter expires, there really is no need for overtime.
In other news, the league passed a rule penalizing the kind of roll-up that resulted in Ian Williams broken ankle. Additionally, they passed the "NaVorro Bowman rule", which dealt with reviewing recovery of a loose ball.
1. Move kickoffs to 40 - FAILED
2. Allow personal fouls to be reviewable - FAILED
3. No OT in preseason - TABLED
4. Extend goalposts 5 ft higher - PASSED
5. Move the line of scrimmage for extra-point kicks to the 25. (Run/pass conversions from the 2) - TABLED
6. Add 6 cameras to boundary lines to supplement TV network for replay - TABLED
7. Allow a coach to challenge any official's decision - FAILED
8. Extend roll-up blocks from behind to include such blocks from the side (adding "and from the side" to existing rule) - PASSED
9. Connect the officiating command center to the field-to-booth communication relay - PASSED
10. Recovery of a loose ball reviewable; also reorganize Article 4 & 5 to enhance understanding - PASSED
11. Allow the clock to run after a quarterback sack - PASSED
12. Pass interference can occur at or beyond the line of scrimmage, eliminating the 1-yard "pick" zone - TABLED
13. Simplify enforcement points (no specifics, but generally complex situations like a defensive foul on a net-loss, fouls on change of possession) - PASSED
1. Increase active roster from 46 to 49 for teams playing Thurs-Fri-Sat games - TABLED
2. Increase practice squad from 8 to 10 - TABLED
3. Trade players prior to the start of the league year - TABLED
4. Eliminate the preseason cutdown to 75, just have one cutdown to 53 - FAILED
5. Increase injured reserve/designated for return to more than 1 player - FAILED
6. Expand teams' ability to do testing and timing at regional combines - TABLED
7. Shift the roster cutdown to 53 to be 4pm ET instead of 6pm ET - PASSED