Finally, that time of the year has come, it's draft week. After reading tons of mocks drafts banging my wall against the wall and wondering what the hell was this mocker thinking making us draft a NT (it's you McShay!!), or taking DE,G,WR in this order with our first 3 picks (what is wrong with you Rang?!?!?!??), the time has come for you guys to question me. Actually, I would probably start questioning myself 5 minutes after I'll publish that.
Question me or not, the goal of this mock is not to hit on every pick, I'll be surprised if I nail more than 4-5 considering all the trades and stuff going on. A better way to look at it is to see how much 1st rounders I nailed. Anyway, enough with this preface, let's draft
1. Houston Texans - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: Poor Texans, they desperately want to trade out of here but no one is wants to give them their entire draft. They need a QB in the worst way but no one is worthy of the first pick. Anyway, Clowney is the best consolation prize the can get. Watt and Clowney tandem is scary.
2. St. Louis Rams - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn: The Rams can't thank Washington enough for making it Christmas in April for them for 3 years in a row. Altanta could jump here to snatch Mack but I don't think they're into giving their whole draft for the 2nd time, and dear god I hope it won't happen. I'm tired of the Rams selecting at the top all the time, they might actually become a good team down the road and I hate that. Oh, and Robinson is an awesome player at a need position...
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: The Jaguars will go for the safe option and not QB. The last OLB who was the "safest pick in the draft" was some dude named Aaron Curry (LOL Seahawks). I really hope for the Jags that history would not repeat itself.
4. Cleveland Browns - Johnny Manzeil, QB, Texas A&M: Manzeil is drawing mixed opinions, some say he's the best player in the draft while others wouldn't touch him in the first round. However, we're talking about the Browns of course they'll take him. Poor Jerry Jones.
5. Oakland Raiders - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: This pick was made by the spirit of Al Davis and even a broken clock is right twice a day.
6. Atlanta Falcons - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M: They craved for a pass rusher, but didn't get one to fall to them. Protecting Matt Ryan isn't a bad idea though. They fell apart when Jones was injured, Ryan going down will get some people fired and they definitely don't want that.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: Lot's of rumblings about a QB here but I don't buy that. Evans is the player they go with. On a side note, what the hell does A&M stand for? and why isn't it M&M? that would be much more appealing to me.
9. Buffalo Bills - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan: Many people think they will go Ebron here. I think that good receivers and TEs can be found in the 2nd round, athletic left tackles can't.
10. Detroit Lions - Ha Ha Clinton Dix: It's probably a pick in the secondary, I think Dix is slightly better than the Corners in this draft.
11. Tennessee Titans - Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: New regime, new toy for new DC Horton you can never have too many pass rushers bla bla bla. Barr is freaking good.
12. New York Giants - Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame: Before throwing Eli under the bus try to give him some protection, and also, they missed on Donald in this mock.
13. St. Louis Rams - Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina: They need a receiving threat don't they? who said it has to be a WR? Their secondary needs help too but Ebron is too good to pass on.
14. Minnesota Vikings - Blake Bortels, QB, UCF: Ponder becomes the incumbent clipboard holder, though he'll probably lose that job to Cassel.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: Wait, what?? Fuller is the first corner to go off the board? hell yeah! he's the best corner in this draft!!
16. Philadelphia Eagles - Justin Gillbert, CB, Oklahoma St.: TRADE, Dallas missed out on good defensive line talent, no, Jernnigan is not a mid first round talent and therefore trade back with the Eagles who absolutely need a corner and snatch Gillbert from the Jets and Ravens.
17. Baltimore Ravens - Odell Beckhan Jr, WR, LSU: Steve Smith is a stopgap, OBJ is the long term answer. Now their only problem is Flacco...
18. New York Jets - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St.: A little history is made here as the Jets are actually picking AFTER the Giants. The cornerback run has started earlier than expected. The Jets must add depth at corner and they better hope that Dennard works out better than Milliner.
19. Miami Dolphins - C.J. Mosely, LB, Alabama: In that scenario the Dolphins make their pick with 9:59 minutes to spare.
21. San Francisco 49ers - Marqise Lee, WR, USC: TRADE Here comes the boo birds. I really think that Lee is a top 10 talent who had a bad year due to injuries and bad QB play. That does not make him injury prone however. Lee gets separation every time and is a deep threat even with his "pedestrian" 40 time. He's also a very good and willing blocker and can be a no. 1 receiver down the road when either Crabtree, Boldin or both will be gone. Lee over Cooks is my own personal opinion, like it or not. In addition, a case for Verrett or Roby can also be made here. Personally, I'm not that high on Roby but I really like Verrett, however, the Niners already have a Verrett type corner in Brock. I really thought Fuller is going to be the pick here and would have liked him over Lee but get the sense the Fuller will be the first corner off the board and he's gonna be taken earlier then most of us think. 21 is a perfect trade spot since it's not too pricey and the Packers won't take part in the CB-WR run anyway and get their man anyway and as You see in this mock, that run started at 16, not at 22 as everyone expecting.
22. Dallas Cowboys - Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri: After they missed on defensive line prospects they trade back and get a quality and underrated player in Ealy.
24. New Orleans Saints - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU: TRADE, once again, a team with a dire need for a CB jumps to get one before they are all gone. Cinci will get their guy at 27.
25. San Diego Chargers - Bradly Roby, CB, Ohio State: The Chargers end the run on 1st round CBs and take the last one available.
26. Cleveland Browns - Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana: I don't know why Latimer stock is suddenly soaring but the Browns take their gamble to get a nice WR duo in Gordon and Latimer.
27. Cincinnati Bengals - Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State: Many think the Bengals will target a CB here, I think they will focus on the front seven and Shazier is a steal at that point.
28. Carolina Panthers - Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama: Panthers are the big losers on this mock since they are left without a top receiver. They choose to count on the WR depth in this draft and go OT first with Kouandjio.
29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: One of Hoodie's favorite hobbies is trading draft picks for desperate teams. This time the Jags make a little leap to make sure the Texans don't snatch Teddy from their hands and get the steal of the draft. I think Bridgewater will be the most successful QB from this draft and I really can't figure how one bad pro day can impact 3 years of game tapes.
30. Green Bay Packers - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville: Green Bay gets the second steal of this draft when amazingly Pryor falls to them at 30 and make Ted Thompson look like a genius once again. I had really no idea that Pryor will fall that far as I think he's a top 20 talent.
31. Denver Broncos - Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida St.: The Broncos don't have hugh holes to fill. They add another quality DT to their roster.
32. Seattle Seahawks - Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada: A little more protection for Wilson is never a bad thing. The right side of their OL really need an upgrade. Deep inside I still hope they take a long snapper here.
This is it. Let me know how bad was my mock in the comments...