The San Francisco 49ers apparently decided to make up for the lack of trades on Thursday, by going nutty on Friday. The 49ers entered Day 2 holding picks No. 56 and No. 61 in the second round. The 49ers first traded No. 56 (2nd round) and No. 242 (7th round from Parys Haralson trade) to the Denver Broncos for No. 63 (2nd round), No. 171 (5th round) and a 2015 4th round pick. The 49ers then traded No. 63 and No. 171 to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for No. 57. With that pick, the 49ers drafted Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde.
The 49ers then traded pick No. 61 to the Jacksonville Jaguars. They acquired pick No. 70 (3rd round) and No. 150 (5th round).
It was a confusing run of trades, but I think this is where everything now sits. The 49ers will be back up fairly soon as they now hold the 10th pick of the third round. They have four picks in the round, and I have to think we see at least one trade. It will be a busy couple of hours coming up. Here is the rundown of 2014 picks.
1. First round: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
2. Second round: Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
3. Third round: Jaguars (draft day trade) - No. 6 (No. 70 overall)
4. Third round: Titans (2013 draft trade) - No. 13 (No. 77 overall)
5. Third round: own - No. 30 (No. 94 overall)
6. Third round: Comp for Dashon Goldson FA departure - No. 36 (No. 100 overall)
7. Fourth round: own - No. 29 (No. 129 overall)
8. Fifth round: Jaguars (draft day trade) - No. 10 (No. 150 overall)
9. Fifth round: own - No. 30 (No. 170 overall)
10. Seventh round: Panthers (Colin Jones trade) - No. 28 (No. 243 overall)
11. Seventh round: own - No. 30 - (No. 245 overall)
As far as 2015 picks, the 49ers traded a conditional fourth round pick for Stevie Johnson, and have now added a fourth round pick from the Denver Broncos. Basically, they are getting Stevie for a seventh round pick. I can live with that.