The San Francisco 49ers continue to add talent, selecting inside linebacker Chris Borland out of Wisconsin. This is the 49ers second pick of the third round, and they still have a pair of picks remaining in the round. Thankfully it's 17 picks away, so we can get a minor respite. Well, barring a trade.
The addition of Borland would seem to provide immediate competition at the inside linebacker position. NaVorro Bowman is out for some chunk of the season. Michael Wilhoite would seem to be the favorite to fill in for Bowman, with Nick Moody also competing. However, the 49ers would seem content to add as much competition to the position as possible. And considering Patrick Willis deals with the occasional sprains and strains, it makes sense to add more depth.
For more on Borland, check out what our Wisconsin blog had to say.
1. First round: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
2. Second round: Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
3. Third round: Marcus Martin, C/OG, USC
4. Third round: Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
5. Third round: own - No. 30 (No. 94 overall)
6. Third round: Comp for Dashon Goldson FA departure - No. 36 (No. 100 overall)
7. Fourth round: own - No. 29 (No. 129 overall)
8. Fifth round: Jaguars (draft day trade) - No. 10 (No. 150 overall)
9. Fifth round: own - No. 30 (No. 170 overall)
10. Seventh round: Panthers (Colin Jones trade) - No. 28 (No. 243 overall)
11. Seventh round: own - No. 30 - (No. 245 overall)