Last night I was up late and watched a re-air of an NFL broadcast "Top Ten Myths". I thought the list was interesting and figured we could get some good discussion going on here. In order of their appearance here they are:
10. Tackle stats are not accurate
Coaches like to give out assists to anybody who was within spitting distance.
9. QB's need a rocket arm to be successful
QBs have to be able to throw the long ball--or do they? Joe Montana didn't.
8. Teams should punt on 4th down
Unless they shouldn't.
7. Turnovers matter
49ers won playoff games when they had 6 or more turnovers
6. You need to run to set up the pass
Unless you have to pass to set up the run.
5. Icing the kicker works
Unless your name is Adam Vinateri.
4. Dome teams are soft
Ask the Vikings if they're soft.
3. Defense wins championships
Ask the New Orleans Saints if their defense won their Super Bowl
2. It is next to impossible to repeat as champions
Not really. It's the three-peat that's impossible.
1. The prevent defense does not work