The 49ers wrap up their 2010 preseason schedule against the San Diego Chargers, in a game that has become a regular conclusion to their annual preseason campaign. The Chargers have won the last three games, but we all know this final game holds very little importance for either team. Really, the key is to avoid injury. Alex Smith will likely see some playing time, but I'd suspect it will be incredibly limited, as will be the case for most of the starters. There are a few roster battles left, but nothing that will require worrying too much about the starters.
This will mark the 24th consecutive preseason these two clubs have clashed, with the Chargers winning the last three meetings. For the second consecutive season under head coach Mike Singletary, the 49ers enter the final week of preseason play at 3-0. The Niners are one of only two NFL teams with a 3-0 record this preseason (Baltimore).
Rookie RB Anthony Dixon leads the NFL with 220 rushing yards during the preseason, which includes rushing for the go ahead touchdown in a come-from-behind victory at Oakland this past weekend, 28-24.
The 49ers begin their quest for the NFC West Division crown on September 12th as they travel to Seattle to kickoff the regular season.
• Chargers head coach Norv Turner served as offensive coordinator forthe 49ers in 2006.
• Chargers director of player personnel, Jimmy Raye III, is the son of 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye II.
• Both 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye II and Chargers head coach Norv Turner served in the same capacity with the Oakland Raiders from 2004-05.
• 49ers defensive coordinator Greg Maunsky served as linebackers coach for the Chargers from 2002-06.
• 49ers wide receivers coach Jerry Sullivan served in the same capac-ity for five seasons with the Chargers from 1992-96.
• 49ers quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson and Chargers head coach Norv Turner coached together during the 2001 season with the Chargers. Johnson served as quarterbacks coach, while Turner was the offensive coordinator.
• Offensive line coach Mike Solari was an offensive lineman at SanDiego State from 1972-75.
CHARGERS NORCAL CONNECTIONS - Chargers LS David Binn is from San Mateo and attended UC Berkeley ... CB Dante Hughes also graduated from UC Berkeley ... CB Donald Strickland is a San Francisco native and attended Archbishop Riordan High School, he was also a 49ers from2006-08.
FORMER CHARGERS - 49ers LB Matt Wilhelm played for the Chargersfrom 2003-08.
TERP WARS - 49ers TE Vernon Davis and LB Shawne Merriman were teammates together at the University of Maryland from 2003-04.
LUBBOCK LOVE - 49ers WR Michael Crabtree played alongside Chargers G Louis Vasquez at Texas Tech University from 2005-08.
49ERS SAN DIEGO CONNECTIONS - 49ers QB Alex Smith grew up in San Diego and attended Helix High School ... Former 49ers LB and current 49ers radio analyst Gary Plummer played for the Chargers from 1986-93.
Preseason Series Highlights
Preseason Matchups: 38
Preseason Series: Chargers lead series 20-18
First Preseason Meeting: 8/3/68, Chargers win, 30-18, at San Diego
Last Preseason Meeting: 9/4/09, Chargers win, 26-7, at San Diego
Current Streak: Lost 3
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 6 (8/19/91-8/10/96)
Longest Chargers Win Streak: 4 (8/15/81-8/18/84)
Most 49ers Points: 34 (8/20/88): 34-27, at San Diego
Most Chargers Points: 35 (8/18/84): 35-15, San Diego
49ers Shutouts: None
Chargers Shutouts: None
8-8 (2nd NFCW)
13-3 (1st AFCW)
Points per game
Punting Avg (Gross)