A couple weeks ago I wrote up a post about the potential of A.J. Green dropping to the 49ers, potentially reenacting the Michael Crabtree scenario of 2009. Well, we've got ourselves a mock draft providing that very scenario. Brian Galliford put together his latest 2011 NFL Mock Draft and he has projected A.J. Green to our San Francisco 49ers:
7. San Francisco 49ers: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia. You won't see this pick in a lot of projections, because when you get right down to it, Green isn't a snug fit for Jim Harbaugh's West Coast Offense. If the Niners were smart, they'd look past that; pairing Green with Michael Crabtree would be a win no matter who's at quarterback.
So how does this scenario unfold? Well, the top six includes a pair of quarterbacks, which means somebody was going to have to drop to the 49ers. Here are the top six picks from Galliford's draft
1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
3. Buffalo Bills: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
4. Cincinnati Bengals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
6. Cleveland Browns: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
I mentioned this morning had Nick Fairley has been dropping and this mock is no exception. Brian has Fairley drop all the way to the Titans at No. 8. Some other notable picks coming after the 49ers are Prince Amukamara at No. 9, Cameron Jordan at No. 11, and Robert Quinn at No. 12.
While I would not take Cameron Newton with the number one overall pick, or even with the 49ers seventh overall pick, I would not be the least bit shocked to see somebody reach for Newton. He has the kinds of tools that suck scouts in and makes them think they can turn around his weaknesses. It's almost like the team is a girl who thinks they can make a guy change. Sorry ladies, it's not happening, and sorry NFL teams, Cam Newton is what he is. He'll say all the right things and even show he's making an effort to improve, but I just don't see it happening.
Of course, that certainly shouldn't stop anybody in the top six from thinking they can change Newton. If Newton and Blaine Gabbert both go in the top six, there will be somebody truly worth of the 49ers seventh pick sitting there waiting for them. While I like a guy like Prince Amukamara, I just get the sense that he's a notch below these other guys that could be there for the 49ers. If Newton and Gabbert go in the top six, we could see a Patrick Peterson or A.J. Green talent drop to number seven. So, let's hope Newton and Gabbert both blow teams away at their Pro Days!