Last week, when SB Nation United launched, there were plenty of questions and concerns about the changes. I put together a post discussing some of the changes, and opened the floor for questions and comments. There were a lot of different concerns, but as I mentioned when United launched, the re-design was not a one-time thing. Rather, the changes were part of a re-building of SB Nation's engine that will provide a framework for tweaking and upgrading the system as we move along.
I also mentioned that support was aware of some of the issues and concerns, and was acting on them. Our VP of Product and Technology shot out an email this morning with some pertinent updates I wanted to share. One noticeable fix is that when you are logged in and visit the front page, you should see the number of new comments in a given post.
Here is a rundown of some of the fixes.
1) Streamlined the mobile web layout to be easier to quickly scan. I encourage everyone to load it up and check it out. We'll continue to make tweaks, but this was a big step forward and these changes were based directly on community feedback we received. We removed a lot of clutter and put an emphasis on the stories in the river: bigger headlines, added blurbs and added timestamps. We also cleaned up the fonts on mobile to be easier to read.
2) More decreases to the size of mobile web pages in order to improve performance.
3) Turned off auto-updating comments on mobile by default so that it doesn't inadvertently drain mobile battery life.
4) Fixed the issue with not properly showing the number of new comments for logged in users on the homepage.
5) Fixed the issue with missing content in the iOS and Android apps.
6) Added the Recommend button to articles.
7) Several other fixes to link type FanShots, Video links, Login/Signup links in the footer, issues w/ Facebook shared links, headline fonts too big in the cover and more!
Moving forward, some tweaks they are currently working on include:
- Fix the issue with Shift-A not always working to clear unread comments for logged in users
- More mobile improvements
- IE 8 visual tweaks
Once again, changes are happening, but it will take time to get through the various bug and feature submissions.