The 49ers head into Week 15 looking for a win against a red-hot New England Patriots team that has won seven straight games. The Patriots have also won 13 straight December games, so they've got that going for them.
The 49ers once again have a chance to secure a playoff spot this weekend. Unlike last week, this week's options are much broader thanks to the 49ers win last week. The 49ers are in a position to clinch a playoff berth, and could even clinch the division. If the 49ers beat the Patriots and the Seahawks lose to the Bills in Buffalo, the 49ers would clinch the NFC West as they would hold a 2.5 game lead with two games to go.
Here are the scenarios for clinching at least a wild card berth. This is an OR proposition, so it's 1 or 2 or 3 or etc:
1. 49ers Win
2. 49ers tie + DAL loss or tie + WAS loss or tie + MIN loss or tie
3. 49ers tie + DAL loss or tie + WAS loss or tie + GB-CHI does not end in tie
4. 49ers tie + DAL loss or tie + MIN loss or tie + Chicago loss
5. 49ers tie + NYG loss or + MIN loss or tie + Chi loss
6. 49ers lose + MIN loss + DAL loss + WAS loss + SEA loss or tie
Is that confusing enough for you? It's pretty simple in reality. The 49ers just need to win, and ideally the Seahawks can just lose. A Packers loss would be nice, too. Everything else is just window dressing.