The San Francisco 49ers host the Houston Texans this Sunday on Sunday Night Football. This will be the third meeting between the teams with the all-time series tied 1-1. This game also marks the 24th Sunday Night game in franchise history with the 49ers posting a 13-10 record in such games.
The 49ers are coming off a strong effort against the Rams that moved them to 2-2. The defense stepped up in a big way, and currently ranks fourth in yards allowed per game. Yards per game is not exactly a great indicator of a team's performance given all the variables that can play into it. Football Outsiders ranks the 49ers No. 18 on defense and overall. It is worth noting their DAVE rating has the 49ers No. 9. DAVE is a formula that combines FO's preseason projection with current VOA to "get a more accurate forecast of how a team will play the rest of the season." DAVE adjusts the preseason projection involvement each week. This week, the preseason projection accounts for 45 percent of DAVE (55 percent for teams that have had their bye week).
We'll be back with more history on this series, as it is rather interesting, but it is worth noting that Frank Gore's first career 100-yard game came when these two teams met on January 1, 2006.
- Had 7 receptions for 93 yards and 3 TDs at Hou. (10/25/09). It marked the first 3 TD performance of his career.
- Made 5 of 5 FG attempts and 1 PAT at Hou. (1/2/05) as a member of the Cleveland Browns. The 16 points mark the third-highest scoring game of his career [19 at SD (11/5/06) and 17 at Buf. (11/17/08)].
- Rushed for 108 yards on 25 carries vs. Hou. (1/1/06). It was the first time he eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark in his career.
- Registered 9 tackles and intercepted QB Matt Shaub in the 1st quarter vs. Hou. (9/19/10) as a member of Washington.
- In 4 career games against Hou., he has recorded 21 tackles, 2.5 sacks and 1 FF.
- As a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, had 5 tackles and sacked QB David Carr for a 5-yd. loss at Hou. (11/3/02).
- Had 4 tackles and forced a fumble by sacking QB David Carr in the 4th qtr. vs. Hou. (10/2/05) as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Recorded 10 tackles and 2 TFL at Hou. (10/25/09).
- Recorded 10 tackles, 1 TFL and 1 PD at Hou. (10/25/09).
Series Record: Series tied 1-1
49ers Home Record vs. Texans: 49ers lead series 1-0
First Meeting: 1/1/06, 49ers win 20-17 (OT), at SF
Last Meeting: 10/25/09, Texans win 24-21, at Hou.
Current Streak: Lost 1
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 1 (1/1/06)
Longest Texans Win Streak: 1 (10/25/09)
Most 49ers Points: 21 (10/25/09): Texans win 24-21, at Hou.
Most Texans Points: 24 (10/25/09): Texans win 24-21, at Hou.
49ers Shutouts: None
Texans Shutouts: None
|49ERS (rank)||TEXANS (rank)|
|2-2 (t-2nd NFCW)||Record||2-2 (3rd AFCS)|
|19.8 (23rd)||Points per game||22.5 (19th)|
|331.3 (21st)||Total Offense||410.3 (5th)|
|131.0 (8th)||Rushing Offense||134.3 (7th)|
|200.3 (27th)||Passing Offense||276.0 (9th)|
|29:18 (19th)||Possession Avg||32:51 (4th)|
|23.8 (19th)||Points allowed/gm||26.3 (23rd)|
|299.8 (4th)||Total Defense||254.3 (1st)|
|109.3 (19th)||Rushing Defense||113.3 (23rd)|
|190.5 (3rd)||Passing Defense||141.0 (1st)|
|12 (12th)||Sacks||13 (t-7th)|
|48.7 (5th)||Punting Avg (Gross)||47.4 (t-7th)|
|-4 (7-27th)||Turnover Differential||-4 (t-27th)|