The San Francisco 49ers host the Carolina Panthers in a Week 10 matchup that is one of only three that features winning teams. The other two are the 5-3 Detroit Lions at the 5-3 Chicago Bears, and the 5-4 Dallas Cowboys at the 6-2 New Orleans Saints. The 49ers are getting the No. 3 FOX crew (Thom Brennaman, Brian Billick and Laura Okmin), but this has the makings of being the best game on the slate.
I was looking through some of the numbers for the game, and these teams have played each other 17 times over the years. The Panthers have only been in existence since 1995, but it is easy to forget these two were division rivals for a while. The Panthers did a good job developing a competitive team, and they were a serious thorn in the 49ers side for several years in the late 90s. Of late, the Panthers have won the last three contests. The most recent took place in 2010, which saw Carolina win 23-20.
These two teams have played 17 games, and this is the first time since 1996 that both teams are over .500 heading into the matchup. Those were the third and fourth games in the series history. They've both had solid teams since then, just never at the same time. Now they do, and it could prove to be the best game this weekend.
- As a member of the Arizona Cardinals, tallied 10 recepts. for a season-high 162 yds. at Car. (10/9/05)
- As a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, recorded the first sack of his career by sacking QB Jake Delhomme (10/22/06)
- Racked up 111 yards from scrimmage (58 yards rushing, 5 receptions for 53 yards) at Carolina (12/2/07)
- Intercepted QB Matt Moore and returned it 31 yards for a TD. It marked his 1st INT and TD of his career
- Tallied 20 total tackles at Carolina (12/2/08) in his rookie season
- His 11 tackles at Caraolina (10/24/10) marked the 40th time of his career in which Willis posted double-digit tackles
Series Record: Panthers lead series 10-7
49ers Home Record vs. Panthers: Panthers lead series 5-3
First Meeting: 11/5/95, Panthers win 13-7, at SF
Last Meeting: 10/24/10, Panthers win 23-20, at Car.
Current Streak: Lost 3
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 4 (9/29/97 - 12/6/98)
Longest Panthers Win Streak: 4 (10/17/99 - 10/22/00)
Most 49ers Points: 34 (9/29/97): 49ers win 34-21, at Car.
Most Panthers Points: 41 (12/18/99): Panthers win 41-24, at Car.
49ers Shutouts: None
Panthers Shutouts: None
|49ERS (rank)||PANTHERS (rank)|
|6-2 (2nd NFCW)||Record||5-3 (2nd NFCS)|
|27.3 (5th)||Points per game||25.5 (11th)|
|342.9 (16th)||Total Offense||332.8 (20th)|
|153.0 (1st)||Rushing Offense||130.1 (8th)|
|189.9 (32nd)||Passing Offense||202.6 (25th)|
|30:14 (15th)||Possession Avg||34:00 (1st)|
|18.1 (4th)||Points allowed/gm||13.3 (2nd)|
|325.1 (6th)||Total Defense||299.9 (3rd)|
|104.6 (12th)||Rushing Defense||79.1 (2nd)|
|220.5 (8th)||Passing Defense||220.8 (10th)|
|17 (t-25th)||Sacks||23 (t-13th)|
|48.6 (2nd)||Punting Avg (Gross)||46.2 (11th)|
|+4 (10th)||Turnover Differential||+8 (t-4th)|