Vernon Davis dealt with a rather brutal tackle on Sunday, and he had some thoughts on a rule change. I'd say it's hard to force intent, but I think even if it happens accidentally, there should probably be a penalty:
It should be a league rule saying that a defender can not tackle a player by his penis. #NFL the most painful thing ever! #NFL— Vernon Davis (@VernonDavis85) December 2, 2013
In case you missed it yesterday, Rams safety T.J. McDonald tackled Davis from behind, and he grabbed hold of Vernon's business. Rather than post the video in here, if you really want to see it again, click on that link. It's painful looking, and Vernon said as such after the fact.
#49ers Vernon Davis on prolonged crotch tackle by #STLRams T.J. McDonald: "I was hurting. He broke some skin right there." A first for him.— Janie McCauley (@JanieMcCAP) December 2, 2013
There were plenty of great tweets following the incident, but @xmasape had one of the best:
RIP Lil' Vernon pic.twitter.com/IvIlzDMLJS— Mike Tunison (@xmasape) December 1, 2013
Vernon left the field briefly, but returned and later scored a touchdown while leaping over a defender. I think Lil' Vernon is ok, but it's time to end penis tackles before they get out of hand!
- Rams fake punt flub, Vernon Davis leapfrog touchdown turned the tide for good
- 49ers snap count vs. Rams: Joe Staley injury, one-sided game lead to reserve appearances
- Joe Staley injury update: MCL sprain is early diagnosis, according to reports
- 49ers-Rams final score: Post-game transcripts
- 49ers handle the Rams on a good day