The San Francisco 49ers are back at practice today, which means we get to see some kind of update on the practice status of LT Joe Staley and LG Mike Iupati. Jim Harbaugh met with the media before practice and he would not rule out either offensive lineman. They are both dealing with sprained MCLs, although the general belief is that Iupati's sprain is worse than Staley's sprain.
I don't think any of us expected Coach Harbaugh to immediately rule either out. I don't think it provides a huge competitive advantage to keep the Seahawks guessing on that, but you know Coach Harbaugh will look for whatever he can get. Matt Barrows caught a glimpse of both players walking, and tweeted this:
Limp watch: Both Joe Staley and Mike Iupati walking well after walk through. Harbaugh said he wouldn't *rule* either out at this point.
— Matt Barrows (@mattbarrows) December 4, 2013
At this point, I still think we see both guys sitting this Sunday. Ideally, Alex Boone, Joe Looney and Adam Snyder will get the full snaps at LT, RG and LG, respectively. While chemistry can sometimes be a little too nebulous to discuss, for an offensive line, chemistry and communication are important. I don't expect this group to be perfect this weekend, but a full week of practice together can build on last week's effort. The line put together what I felt was a respectable performance considering they were thrown together during the game.
- All-22 Breakdown of Michael Crabtree's Return and his Effect on the Offensee
- 49ers vs. Seahawks: Marshawn Lynch struggles for the same reasons as Frank Gore
- The Booth Review - 49ers vs. Rams: "I don’t think we’ve played our best football yet. We’re not where we expect to be."
- Ahmad Brooks, Justin Smith and the snap count
- 49ers vs. Seahawks: A prospector's guide