We're on to the fifth pick of the second round, No. 37 overall in the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft. If you missed parts of the first round, check out our entire rundown.
The Cincinnati Bengals are now on the clock, and their Niners Nation GM is rocket0348. With the thirty-seventh pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Bengals select D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina.
Explanation: The Cincinnati Bengals' filled their biggest need at middle linebacker with Arthur Brown. Now they need a strong safety.
Some would say Eric Reid could fit the bill here, but he is more of a free safety. The best true strong safety available that is worthy of a second round pick is D.J. Swearinger from the University of South Carolina.
Although he has only average height, he is a very big hitter. D.J. can play both safety positions, but plays best at strong safety. He is very effective blitzing off the edge and can nullify a pulling lineman or fullback. Quarterbacks throwing interceptions his way will all be swearing.
Nick Chiamardas: Swearinger is a kid I like more and more as draft day approaches. I do think he actually projects best as a free safety but with most NFL schemes utilizing their safeties interchangeably, it doesn't really matter. Swearinger has great ball skills and can really lay the lumber. Tauhue Cha is doing a great job of shoring up the Bengals defense in this draft.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts -- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington [Explanation]
- Green Bay Packers -- Damontre Moore, DE/OLB [Explanation]
- Houston Texans -- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- Denver Broncos -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- New England Patriots -- Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist [Explanation]
- Atlanta Falcons -- Tank Carradine, DE/OLB, Florida State [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International [Explanation]
- Baltimore Ravens -- Matt Elam, S, Florida [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Kyle Long, OL, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina