We are now up to pick No. 16 in the 2013 Niners Nation NFL mock draft. Once again, this is a reminder that I will be attempting to post three picks every day until we get through round two. This will likely take us into the week of the 2013 NFL Draft, so feel free to consider this a sort of countdown.
The St. Louis Rams are on the clock and their Niners Nation GM is TheFreakSFG. With the sixteenth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Rams select Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri.
Explanation: The Rams biggest need at this point is wide receiver, and with Tavon Austin available, I was torn between him and the best player available in Richardson. While DT is not a pressing need for the Rams, Richardson in my opinion is a top 10 talent, and you can make a case that he's the best DT in this class. He's an amazing athlete for his size, to the point that Mizzou actually had him drop into coverage from time to time. Consistent motor, and displays the quickness and instincts to locate the ball and change directions when not directly rushing the passer. Richardson would bolster the Rams' defensive line rotation, and would likely take snaps from Langford who seems to be a one-dimensional pass rusher. He'd fit right into their 4-3 defense as a 3-tech DT who will wreak havoc on opposing QB's for years.
Trevor Woods: I'm a little surprised that Richardson slipped this far in the mock draft. The Rams take the best player available here at pick No. 16. He would become a Ndamakong Suh like force for the Rams, wreaking havoc against the pass and run. The other selection I would not have minded here would have been Tavon Austin. Austin would have been a great replacement for Amendola. With that said, I do like the pick; Richardson is a heck of a player. You can check out my scouting report on Richardson.
Nick Chiamardas: I really hope this scenario doesn't play out. Add Richardson to a defense that already gives the 49ers fits and you have a haunting for years to come. Richardson is certainly the best player available as TheFreakSFG points out, however, I don't think the Rams would pass on a receiver here. The only exception would be if Vaccaro or one of the two guards is still around.
Niners Nation Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
- St. Louis Rams -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri